Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Could someone please take a look at this photo of my bathroom DWV...
Author: grlichti (ID)

Hi All!

This is a photo of my roughed in bathroom. Nothing is glued up yet because I did not want to waste a bazillion fittings until I know it will fly. See below for explanationattachFull56513
Starting at the left side. Bottom left is 4" waste line out to septic. The 3" vertical with san-tee is the line over to toilet flange. I have not cut riser to it, yet. Then there is the 2" toilet vent coming off top that will exit up into attic. Next over to right is the bathroom sink draining into a san-tee and 2" wet vent that serves the sink and the adjacent shower. It also will rise up into attic. It is my intention to tie together both vents (toilet and wet) up in attic as a loop and connecting them to the single 2" vent out the roof. The final fitting on the right is the trap and drain for the shower. The back to back street 90's in bottom center are due to a level change in the drain line. I cannot keep my 1/4" slope without dropping down like that.

Please, any comments are welcome. Will this layout pass code? Where I live we adhere to the UPC and have no local codes that conflict or change it.

Re: Could someone please take a look at this photo of my bathroom DWV...
Author: steve (CA)

The toilet can be wet vented with the sink's vent. The 2 st 90*s are no-go. I would run run the horizontal drain at a greater pitch or use 45*s. The san tee for the sink drain/vent connection needs to be above the floor and the sink trap needs to enter the side of the tee. The outlet of the sink trap should be 1/4"/foot horizontally into the side of the tee.

Author: packy (MA)

first, the 1/4 inch per foot slope is a minimum not a maximum.
so get rid of the double 90 and simply increase the slope.
second, swing the toilet vent over to the cement block and up behind the vanity. use a 2 x 2 x1 1/2 san tee behind the vanity. it will wet vent the toilet.
leave the shower vent as it is but you can reduce it to 1 1/2 once it is above the floor level. smaller holes to drill and save a couple of bucks as well. once in the attic, join it up with the toilet/sink wet vent and you are good to go.

if it were my job, I would do it like this.

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Maybe it’s just the angle of the photo but your toilet pipe looks really close to the wall. It should be 12” from the surface of the finished wall...

Steve, Packy and Palm329...Thanks a lot for the detailed replies.First, Palm329, yeah it is the angle. I have it 12 1/2" from the stud face and 16 1/2" on the side from the stud face.

Steve, Packy, thanks about the slope thing. Believe it or not, the inspector actually made me keep the 2" pipe (the one coming into the shower from the right) at between 1/4" and 3/8" slope!?

Why I don't know, but I am a layman and did not want to get in a pissing contest with him. So I carried that same slope into this bathroom. It makes no sense because I thought the code book does allow more slope except on larger 3 and 4" pipe so I will push him a little and see what he says.

If not, will a short length of 2" between the (2) 45's be allowed? I started with 45's but they did not drop the level enough. I can't run the vent straight up from the block because there is a window just above out of view. The two vents in the photo are as close to the window king studs as they can be.

Why would the san tee have to be above the floor? There will be a 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" drain and trap assembly the connect to the vertical pipe in middle which I though could drop down through floor and then over to san tee. Is this not a good idea? Are you saying the sink trap arm needs to dump directly sideways into the san tee? Not arguing just trying to learn for future reference.

Anyway, thanks again for the help!

Author: steve (CA)

If the outlet pipe of the trap runs vertically before the vent, it is an "S" trap and is illegal. The trap has the possibility of have it's water siphoned out and then sewer gases could enter the structure. Yes, a short piece of pipe can be installed between the 45*s. If the shower drain pipe is run at too steep an angle, it can affect the venting for it's trap.

Thanks everyone clap thumbs applause

Thanks to everyone for the replies. This should be enough to make a good decision and hopefully pass inspection.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.