Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Drain Stopped Strangely
Author: 120volts (CA)

I was doing a load of laundry when during the drain cycle I heard loud water gurgling from the kitchen sink nearby. Sounds were actually kind of like burping noises. I also heard it in the back bathrooms so I ran back and saw the bathtub and shower filling with dirty water. I stopped the washer and tried to plunge the bathtub and shower to no avail. The water was not moving at all.

After a few minutes I turned on the washer again as it filled for the second rinse cycle, and then drained. I went back to the bathtub and shower and the water started draining rapidly on its own. I turned on the bath tub spout full force and it drained like nothing had happened.

Ok, Lucy, you got some ‘splainin’ to do. What the heck happened??

Edited 1 times.

Re: Drain Stopped Strangely
Author: packy (MA)

we can all speculate on what happened but I think only superman with x-ray vision or a sewer camera can tell us for sure.

Author: hj (AZ)

It sounds like you had a stoppage, but it was "soft enough" that the weight of the water against it pushed it downstream. It either went all the way to the city sewer, or it lodged somewhere in the piping and will cause problems again, sometime.

Hmm. Sounds right. I need to fold my laundry today and will see if I’m missing one sock. Lol.

Just bizarre. I do have a cleanout so I’ll snake it out before I use the washer again. Cleanout to sewer connect to street main is about 40’.

Thanks!

If you have a snake, it is probably too small to unplug anything in the main line, unless you clean drains for a living, in which case you would not have had to ask here.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

google: "suds pressure zone"

tongue sticking out smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

In a ONE STORY building? really?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

tongue sticking out smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

It hasn't happened since (it's been two weeks now). I did three loads yesterday, and family took two showers, and consumed a lot of water in the kitchen sink, and the water just zipped right out as normal. I'm guessing there was some soft blockage and it cleared itself that first day.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.