Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water pressure won't go down
Author: HoweDIY (CT)

Hello,
I've been trouble shooting my baseboard heating system but to date unable to get the pressure in the system to reduce.

I have 2 zones which run on a Weil Mcclain CGM-25 boiler.
The pressure guage won't go below 28PSI and anytime the system calls for heat the gauge goes above 30 PSI causing the relief valve to engage.

It started when I was only getting heat to my lower zone.(basement of a raised ranch)
I attempted to bleed the pipes which appears to have solved the zone heating issue.

because I replaced the expansion tank in the spring I didn't consider this to be the issue, (I don't have the tank size available to post at this time.)
and thought the high pressure could be caused by a bad pressure reducing valve, however, I just changed this out and it had no effect on reducing the pressure in the system.

How likely is it that the pressure gauge on this system is bad?

Re: water pressure won't go down
Author: hj (AZ)

Even if it were bad, the expansion tank would not open until the pressure exceeded 30 psi. You have a different problem but one that might require a technician at the site to diagnose.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Did you adjust the pressure on the pressure reducing valve? Fifteen psi is more than enough for a raised ranch. You're starting off with a pressure that is way too high. The air you bled off causes problems that you are aware of, but it was acting like a very large expansion tank. Adjust the pressure down to 15 psi, and see how things go. Turn the pressure on the reducing valve way down, then bleed the pressure off the system. The slowly turn the pressure up on the reducing valve until it gets to 15

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

correcting hj's typo..

I'm sure he meant 'relief valve' rather than 'expansion tank'.

one of my great arguments with boilers is that the pressure gauge is usually a very cheap variety and rarely functions properly after a few years.

you can leave it where it is and check your boiler pressure with a gauge that screws onto any convenient hose faucet.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.