Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Replaced Delta 1700 cartridge = No water???
Author: JeffZulton (WI)

Hi,
So I replaced two water heaters in the house. We have great pressure except for this shower. I got cold but almost no hot. So I figured debris got in the hot water line or the cartridge. So I went to fixing.
I Took off the showerhead and flushed that pipe, with cold water since that is all I had. LOL. I turn the supply lines off. I Removed the cartridge, gaskets and springs. I flushed the lines. Both hot and cold sprayed very well in the shower. Great pleasure, so now I knew it is the cartridge.
I took the cartridge apart and yep it was clogged. I cleaned it out completely, made sure everything was moving fine. Put it back together and installed it. I made sure all the parts, gaskets, springs, etc, are in.
Seriously knowing everything should be working great. (FYI The supply lines valves are right behind the shower) I turned The supply valves back to on! I went back into the shower and when I turned the shower handle all I got is the sound of the pressured water shooting to the cartridge. Then nothing. It sounds like the cartridge is completely blocked.
I have taken it apart twice. I reflushed the lines to double check there was nothing blocked. I took the cartridge apart again. I checked if any parts are put on wrong. To the best of my knowledge it is correct. Actually the assembly is so simple I am not sure you could put it together wrong…? Still does the same thing. The water will pressurize to cartridge, or somewhere right in there, but no water comes out when I turn the shower on.
???Q??? So why is the water stopping at or around, the cartridge?

Thank for your help!!!
Very sincerely,
Jeff

Maybe I need a flow chart. ***
***(Separate “curious” question): Okay, so I was getting good cold but almost no hot water, which is why I started this. What I do not understand is, due to the clog being in the cartridge which is where the hot and cold mix... or is it??? Because now that I think of it the temp “valve” is after the cartridge. BUT, from what I have read, I think the water goes through the “flow regulator”? (That metal round tube that moves when you shake the cartridge). But if that is correct then the hot and cold would mix there. But if that were correct then the hot/cold little plastic valve thing just on top of the cartridge would Be useless. I do not understand. LOL.
Anyone have a flow chart?
Any ideas on this mass confusion of mine? LOL. In other words, how was I getting cold and no hot? My only guess is the cartridge must keep the hot and cold separate till it hits the control switch/valve.???
Thank again

Re: Replaced Delta 1700 cartridge = No water???
Author: NP16 (OR)

quote: I took the cartridge apart and yep it was clogged. I cleaned it out completely, made sure everything was moving fine. Put it back together and installed it. I made sure all the parts, gaskets, springs, etc, are in.

I just pay the $50 and put a new cartridge in.

Author: JeffZulton (WI)

I tried that.

Author: packy (MA)

I see that you flushed the piping with the cartridge removed.
did you flush the pipes BEFORE installing the second cartridge?
from what you describe there should be no problem?? but there is..

Author: DaveMill (CA)

Packy, he did not install a second cartridge. He rebuilt the original cartridge.

Author: packy (MA)

when it was suggested for him to buy a new 50 dollar replacement and he replied "I tried that"
I took that to mean he did replace it.
I guess we will both find out at the same time.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.