Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 best place to run washer into main
Author: Marko1 (MO)

so hopefully the above floor part is done (awaiting final 'approval' on other thread)
now I'm down in the crawl space (yuck) trying to decide where to run the washer drain.

previously the washer, kitchen sink, tub and lavy went into a 1.5" abs that disappears
into the dirt in a 12" square concrete pad

in the foreground you see the 2" washer drain reducing to 1 1/2 wye
just to the right of the 90el on top of the stack a kitchen sink drops in,
to the right of that you see the tub drain into a wye and the continuation
to the right picks up a lavy 10ft away....

You can also see the new 4" drain that picks up the toilet which I replaced old cast iron
a few years ago.

Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just drop everything into the 4" and abandon the old 1 1/2 line...

the 4" goes under the foundation and connects outside to an already existing (before I bought the place)
underground green plastic line...where I had removed the house trap.
oddly enough there was a parallel 4" green plastic line discovered at the time which is where I assume
this 1 1/2" abs ends up running into.
the two green plastic lines presumably join up somewhere under the driveway and out in the back yard
a few hundred feet away there is a 4" plastic line poking up out of the yard with a cap on it.
I assume that to be a cleanout they installed at the time. from there it runs downhill in the direction that I know from maps the main sewer line to be in back.

or I can just run the new washer line into the 4" and leave the others alone since they work so far.
I put a cleanout riser near where the 4" exits the house so I could drop into there...

to the right you see the cleanout and to the left/middle you can see the 2" sweep cleanout coming down from the floor above...in the distance you can see the cut end of the previous run for the washer...

so I can either go into the 4" cleanout vertical pipe in the second pic or the sloping 4" pipe where it dives down into the dirt in the first picture...

any reason one is better than the other? any reason to change the other existing lines or just leave alone?

Re: best place to run washer into main
Author: Palm329 (VA)

Not sure that 2” washer drain should be reduced to 1.5”, but I’m a DIY’er so wait for the pros to comment...

How many total bedrooms and bathrooms does this home have? If it can handle the load, personally I would probably lean towards sending everything down your new pvc 4” line...

Author: packy (MA)

where is the opening to enter the crawlspace?

the cleanout you installed will be 10,000 times more useful if it is horizontal and looks towards the entrance.

so, I would cut the cleanout off, put a 90 facing the entrance and put a few 'Y's with the cleanout in the end.

face the branches of the 'y's looking up and drop the laundry, kitchen etc into their own 'Y'.

Author: sum (FL)

Will a plumber get into a crawlspace to snake out a drain? I think they would go up the roof or remove a toilet before they drag a snake into a crawlspace.

I think the 2" reducing to 1.5" is a bad idea.

ah! very good point about the cleanout horizontal! duh! you can tell i'm no plumber
The openings are removable panels, you can see the one wood wall next to the cleanout, thats one and the other is where i'm taking the picture from.

the washer drain is close to the cleanout. makes sense to run that into the cleanout pipe.
can I cut the vertical, add in a 4x4x2 wye, then put the 90 on top of that and run the horiz cleanout off that?

the lavy tub and kitchen are closer to that 4" where it 45's down into the dirt...
could i add 3 4x4x1-1/2 wye's in that section to catch those?

excuse the crude drawing...
cut the 4 inch leaving enough pipe at the cleanout to glue it into a fitting.
fittings needed
4 inch long sweep 90
one 4 x 4 x 3 Y
one 3 inch street 45
one 3 x 2 Y
one 3 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 Y (probably need a 3 x 3 x 1 1/2 Y with a bushing in the end )

the cleanout you have upstairs will work for the laundry but do put cleanout tees in the lav and the kitchen. may never need them but they are there if you do.
i would put the Y's with the side facing up, street 45 in each to make them vertical then a 90 facing the pipe coming thru the floor

Hi Packy,
Thanks for hanging in there to help me figure this out.
I get the general idea you're suggesting except all the fixtures are to the left of the cleanout.
The washer is only about 8' horizontal from the cleanout so my thought for the washer is this picture.

then looking at the plan view below, I thought I would drop the lavy, tub, kit into the section of 4" that passes directly below those lines on it's way to the cleanout and on to the sewer.

The dashed lines are the 4" line running below the 1 1/2 lines just below the joists

Because those lines are like 20' from the cleanout with obstructions in the way.

So I could either do like your dwg with individual 4" wyes or maybe easier to run the combined
1-1/2 lines into one 4x4x1-1/2 wye

"Not sure that 2” washer drain should be reduced to 1.5”, but I’m a DIY’er so wait for the pros to comment..."
never reduce a drain. 'nuff said..
BTW, I would save a few bucks and use two 4 x 4 x 2 Y's.
I don't believe they make a 4 x 4 x 1 1/2. ( I could be wrong)
use one of the Y's for the 2 inch laundry drain and the other 4 x 4 x 2 Y put a 2 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 Y.

how about this layout

marko, who says there is no such thing as perfect?

looks perfect to me..

LOL...you're too kind smile
thanks for all your help!
now would you mind crawling under that spider infested crawl space and doing it for me? smile ha ha

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Just make sure that fitting at the bottom right of your drawing is a combi-wye or a wye of some sort rather than a true tee (as you’ve drawn it)... you want to direct that flow downstream.

as for your chances of getting me down in your crawlspace? put it this way. the cardinals have a better chance of winning 4 straight against Washington than you do of getting me in there.

1 1/2" drain ?
Author: steve (CA)

Run a 2" pipe for the kitchen and lav sink drains.

LOL

Re: 1 1/2" drain ? clap

Good idea, thanks!

Edited 1 times.

thanks Palm329...was trying to draw a wye smile

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.