Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 is old silicone II still good?
Author: roundrightfarm (WV)

I recently sealed a tub drain with with silicon 2 from a half used tube. This tube has been siting around for probably a couple years in a garage which was subject to freezing winter temps. I was, at first, happy to see that it was still flowing. I squirted out the first of it onto a piece of cardboard to get at stuff that hadn't been exposed to air and then sealed the drain. Now it is two days later and what I squirted onto the cardboard has not hardened. Should I redo this drain with a new tube?

Re: is old silicone II still good?
Author: packy (MA)

did you put any on the bottom of the tub where the black rubber gasket is?
that is where any leak would show up.
you could do the top flange with nothing on it and as long as the bottom is tight it will not leak.

Author: roundrightfarm (WV)

I did not add any to the rubber seal at the base of the tub. I put a ring around the lip of smaller piece that threads into the main assembly and tightened.

Author: packy (MA)

as I said, any leak occurring from under the flange on top follows the threads downward and is stopped by the rubber washer below.
fill the tub until the water runs down the overflow (maximum level) and let it drain.
if that doesn't make it leak, you are good to go.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

I've been fooled by that too, old silicone looks good, but then won't cure after you apply it. I've started buying it in the smaller tubes so I have don't any laying around. I'm not sure what the shelf life actually is, but it's a fact that at some point it gets "too old."

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Author: 120volts (CA)

$9 for a new tube. Cheap insurance.

I chaulk all the time but I am always having leftovers of white, clear, concrete, exterior, interior, anything. And I hate to waste. I'll eventually re-use in a few weeks of any of my leftovers.

But one trick I learned about a year ago has saved all of my unused ones...

I always have some plastic (sandwich bag type but not flimpsy) and some rubber bands. Quart size bags are nice and thick.. I use a corner of the bag and put it over the tip, leaving a slight gap from the tip to about an inch from the tip. I wrap the rubber band tightly an inch below the tip. I then push my chaulking gun and squeeze some silicon so it covers the tip and down to the inch. I'll squeeze with my fingertips after this to make sure it covers these areas.

That's it. The silicon will dry over the tip and below, essentially sealing it. When you want to re-use, simply pull this homemade plug and you'll get fresh silicon without it drying inside the tip and clogging it.

Works everytime and 50X better than a nail or screw to plug.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.