Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leaking o-ring on Price Pfister Shower Diverter Valve
Author: etbrown4 (NC)

We've replaced several of these old style PF cartridges previously with no problems.

Changed one recently and when applying the 5 bolt flange and stem assembly, developed a leak at the front oring. It's about 2". So now I have a leak on the valve body.

Replaced front 2" oring twice, still leaks, just when shower valve is open.

Inner cast housing is brass or bronze and is smooth and clean with no burrs.

I'm certain that the replacement oring is correct. It's a number 131 and supplied by PF. Yet it leaks. Oring is the correct thickness.

5 flange bolts are pulled down evenly. Leaks with or without lube.

Short of replacing the otherwise perfect shower valve, what can be done to stop this new leak

Edited 2 times.

Re: Leaking o-ring on Price Pfister Shower Diverter Valve
Author: hj (AZ)

What is the model number? The only 5 bolt PP valve I know, the Flowmatic, uses a cork gasket, not "O" rings.

Edited 1 times.

No numbers apparent on these.
Supply house just matched up the parts.
It's about 25 years old based on the house age.
It's definitely a 5 bolt flange and definitely a #131 pp oring.

The outer hub of the valve is 4 bolt, but the round metal flange ring which secures it has 5 bolts.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Cracked cartridge?

Tried 2 new cartridges. Both leak the same.
No apparent cracks.
With old oring it leaks a lot. With new oring it leaks less.

Author: Curly (CA)

Need some pictures.

Re: Leaking o-ring on Price Pfister Shower Diverter Valve thumbs

Fixed.

A last resort trick I've tried rarely over the last 40 years.

When caught far from a supply house with a defective oring, I've tightly wrapped them with 1 layer of Teflon tape. I did a half overlap of the tape around the full circumference of the oring. Installed it, no leaks.

The practical effect is to enlarge the oring cross section by a thousandth or two.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.