Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 2 water lines into 1 house
Author: 680lsx (TN)

We are in the middle of building a barndaminium. There was no city water on our street. The water company required us to buy 2 taps.They are side by side and we have both run into the house. We get 900 gallons for 7.xx dollars a month per tap.
I was thinking we could run 1 tap to the cold side and one to the hot to get maximum efficiency of both taps. Our plumber said it wouldn't work because of different pressure. I wouldn't think the pressure would be different. We are at the end of the main and the only ones on it. Has anyone tried this?
Thank you for your time and advice.

Re: 2 water lines into 1 house
Author: packy (MA)

the pressures would not be different.
using both pipes makes sense to me.
how I would divide it up would depend on the layout of the piping.
i have done something like this for a restaurant that expanded into the space next door.
the restaurant had a water service and the store next to him also had one.
when he took over he added fixtures and used the second water pipe.

For now the 2ed line is connected to 2 outside faucets and the shop sink. I would get a little usage but not much. The lines are all pex, so it should be simple to run one to the hot water heater and the other to the cold. After we are moved in I'll have to try and see how it works out. The only problem I could see is if the pressure was different and on warm it was trying to push backwards on one side or the other.

Author: packy (MA)

can not happen.

if there was a cross connection joining the 2 water services and you opened a faucet, it would draw water from which ever service had the higher pressure.

Re: 2 water lines into 1 house clap

Thank you

Edited 1 times.

Author: sum (FL)

Are the two lines metered individually?

Does you house drain into the city sewer or septic?

I have considered previously have the city install an additional meter so I have a dedicated one for outside faucets and the sprinkler system. That additional meter would be dedicated for usages that would not go down the city drains such as irrigation, car washing, filling up swimming pool etc...so the city would exempt the sewer charge on water usage on that meter. Could make a big difference over time as right now the city based the sewer charge on water usage and the sewer usage component of the bill is much higher than the water component.

Drain into septic tank.
Yes meters are metered separately

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.