Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 2 check valves?
Author: mik2 (WI)

I installed a zoeller 508 backup sump pump. It has a small check valve that is installed directly into primary pump. Ny original setup without backup has standard check valve a few feet above pump and a hole drilled between the two as per Zoeller.

I left the original ckeck and drilled hole in place.... so there are two check valves now and thinking about it now im concerned i shouldnt have done that.

Is this an issue?.

Re: 2 check valves?
Author: packy (MA)

the check valve in the secondary pump is so the primary doesn't pump water back into the pit thru the tee the secondary is connected to.

Actually there were 3 check valves in my setup.... 1 supplied by zoeller for the outlet of the primary. Another integrated into the backup pump and a third which i had upstream in my sump drain as my primary when i had a single pump.

There were 3 weepholes also... one in the housing of my primary pump, another in the zoeller supplied check valve above the threads and a third which i had drilled a 3/16 hole between pump and my check valve like i had it for a single setup.

Im not sure if it would cause airlock issues or make the pump work harde because it seemed to be pumping correctly. However, there was a "gurgle" noise coming from the drilled weep hole after it pumped.

So I cut out the section of pipe where i originally drilled the weep hole for a single setup and i removed the upstream check valve and replaced it with a fernco coupling. No more gurgle noise after a cycle.

Too bad the manual doesnt address the chance there is a check valve upstream. And i have to rely on a little cheapo zoeller check valve rather than the quality large ones i usually use.

Edited 2 times.

this is how the few I have installed are piped.
also, this is how liberty pumps recommends they be piped.
you can always remove the check you don't like and put one you do like up higher.
fine to do as long as the secondary pump tie in is above the new check valve location.
do drill a hole below the primary pump check.
TIP.. drill the hole at a 45 deg angle facing down. the pumping water exiting that hole will shoot downward not sideways.

What about the redundant check valve... that was bad right?

However, I think I recall that there are multiple check valves in a well pump setup.

I'm not an engineer in fluid dynamics. but I don't believe the extra check valve would cause a problem.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.