Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Does size matter?
Author: jhummer (CA)

The main supply to the house is being modified. Currently have a 3/4" meter, goes to 1" PVC for 200 feet to the house. Converts to 3/4 copper out of the ground, 3/4 ball valve, 3/4 pressure reducer, then into the house. I get over 140 psi out of the meter.

I want to create a simple manifold arrangement at the house. From the main, one branch will come off before the pressure reducer, with full flow valve, and go to a new fire sprinkler system in the garage. I also want a high flow hose bib for garden hose before the reducer (likely will have 2 of these). Then last branch is a valve then pressure reducer to house.

The total flow clearly gets limited by all the 3/4 fittings at the street. The 200 feet of 1" I suppose is to help reduce pressure drop. I was wondering if I upgraded the front end of this simple manifold design to use 1" copper as the 'main' pipe it would be of any benefit. I.e. start with 1" tube and fittings then each branch would end with 3/4. Else just leave it all at 3/4 all the way through. The extra cost of larger fittings is not an issue.

Opinion if going a bit bigger would be of any benefit? Thanks.

Re: Does size matter?
Author: srloren (CA)

The pressure is not affected by pipe size but volume is. When you are talking pipe size you are also talking about friction loss. Normally speaking, the larger the pipe size, the more options you have at your piping branches. Using full port valves is also recommended to keep from losing volume. The greater the distance also affects volume. BUT to answer your question...yes, size matters.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Does size matter?
Author: jhummer (CA)

Thanks. I was leaning in that direction.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.