Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 What Plumbing is this on the Sidewalk?
Author: 120volts (CA)

A heavy tree branch broke and fell onto some pipes on the sidewalk and produced a fire hydrant type of gushing. Upon close inspection a nipple of some sort had broken off. Tiny hole...big gush! Anyway, there were two valves I saw and managed to shut them off to stop the gushing.

I'm not sure what this is for (this is for a neighbor). But I'm thinking it's for a sidewalk watering system?

My question is, what is this doohicky, in particular the bolted, 4-5" round piece (that has four hex bolts) and the nipple on top that apparently broke off?

[i.postimg.cc]

Re: What Plumbing is this on the Sidewalk?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

test port on a RPZ Backflow prevention device

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

What is the whole thing for? Sidewalk irrigation? And is it the city’s?

Author: packy (MA)

you are looking for something like this valve the sponsor sells.
carefully drill out the soft brass piece broken off inside the RPZ port.
small drill bit first and increase in size slowly.
worst case is you mess up the female threads and need a 1/4 inch pipe tap.

Author: srloren (CA)

Packy I think you have the wrong valve pictured. You would not be able to turn the test cock on with that one.

Author: hj (AZ)

It IS the test cock and of course it could be turned on. A screwdriver stop, like the one on the valve behind the broken one would be better, but NOT necessary.

Edited 1 times.

This is the one I am referring to Packy. [@#$%&[postimages.org]][/url]

hj not Packy...appologies guys.

that is why i wrote "something like this one".
anyway, it seems un-necessary at this point since the RPZ most likely belongs to the city and the DPW will repair it.

Gotcha....

the RPZ does NOT belong to the city

it belongs to the property owner who receives/uses the water passing through it

it is FEDERALLY MANDATED including the annual REQUIRED testing

there is NO OPTION re: the test port valve

the one with the screw stop is REQUIRED due to the nature of the REQUIRED 'testing device'

... sheez ... are we, or are we not, plumbers protecting the health of the nation

oops: my union training and naivety are showing ... again tongue sticking out smiley

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Somebody needs to tell CT about that federal mandate then. I know there are code requirements for backflow prevention, such as at boiler connections, sprinkler systems , etc. But.... Federal Mandate? Around here, the city owns the sidewalk. You may be right... the homeowner may own it. But in California, the land of avocado pizza, who the heck knows.

A synopsis for the 'layman':

The water department has complete control over their system of piping; however, once the water goes through the meter and into an office, commercial, or industrial building (or any other facility) they no longer have control over the water. In order to prevent the backflow from polluted or contaminated water into their piping, the easiest solution is to install a backflow prevention device. These devices can be installed on irrigation piping, potable water piping, fire protection piping, or industrial water piping. They can be installed on boilers, cooling towers, kitchen equipment, or any other system that uses water and has the possibility of polluting or contaminating that water.

who mows the grass in question ?

does the city maintain the grass ?

Re: who mows the grass in question ?

It belongs to whoever installed it. It could be for a "common area" or residential irrigation system, in which case they maintain it. If the city installed it to maintain the parkway, (and I once destroyed one when I put my truck through a wall and into a swimming pool), then the city maintains and tests it. However, in many cases, a city owned device is enclosed in a locked cage to prevent vandalism. It is a heavy piece of brass.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

packy......In MA they smoke it. smiling smiley

Hello guys. Remember me? I’m the original poster. Thanks for all the replies! You guys are talking calculus to a first grader, however. But I do enjoying learning all this. Thanks again. I’ll check with the neighbor to see what he did. I know he was going to contact his insurance company and the city for all it’s worth.

His insurance company is NOT going to do anything, because it is a $5.00 part and he probably has a $1,000.00 deductible.

Author: Curly (CA)

What's wrong with avocado pizza ? smiling smiley

Whoever pays for the water that goes through the backflow device is who owns the backflow device and is responsible for it.

A 4 sided tapered easy out or whatever it is called will easily remove it with out damaging the threads.

The device in the picture is a Febco 825y. Any generic 1/8" mip x 1/4" fip slotted test cock will fit it.

Most generic test cocks will not come with the test fitting as pictured. That was most likely added by the tester.

The the test fitting is 1/4" mip x 1/4" male flare.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.