Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 minimum inches difference in height between the standpipe and where the discharge hose connects to the washer for efficient operation?
Author: ejcannon2007 (FL)

What is the minimum inches difference in height between the standpipe and where the discharge hose connects to the washer for efficient operation? This is my situation: the top of the elbow connector at the back of my washer for the discharge hose is approximately 36 1/2” from the floor. The opening of my standpipe is at approximately 38 1/2”; with the discharge hose in place, the top of the discharge hose bends at almost 41” at its greatest height, right before leading into the standpipe. Is this setup ok? The discharge hose has a total length of about 6 feet, and hangs 6” from the floor. Should it be shorter? Also, would I have more efficient discharge flow if I put my washer on a pedestal, to where it was elevated about the standpipe, or is it ok for the discharge hose end that connects to the back of the washer to be about 2-3 1/2” inches lower than the actual opening of the standpipe? Photos can be viewed at this link:
[postimg.cc]
I’m concerned the current setup may allow for siphoning, and water never drains completely from the discharge hose. I don’t know if this is normal/ok or not. Any advice or insight into correct setup would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: minimum inches difference in height between the standpipe and where the discharge hose connects to the washer for efficient operation?
Author: steve (CA)

What brand is that washer? The owner's manual should state the minimum standpipe height. That's the first machine I've seen with a drain connection at the top of the machine. I don't see how a siphon will be created.

Re: minimum inches difference in height between the standpipe and where the discharge hose connects to the washer for efficient operation?

Thanks for the quick reply. It’s a Kenmore Elite HE3T washer Model 110 42936 200. All the images and other generic info I’ve found online also show the drain connection at the bottom of the washer, not at the top, like you said- that’s why I’m wondering if my current setup is ok or not. I appreciate your insight/thoughts if this is ok, or if I should change something, or make the hose shorter. Water stays in the discharge hose even after a cycle completes. Is this ok?

Author: NoHub (MA)

Massachusetts Code sets stand pipe height at 30" max and 18" min (above the trap)and the top of the stand pipe shall extend a min of 30" above the base of the machine.

Edited 2 times.

With a washer that has a bottom outlet drain hose, the hose has water in it after the pumping has stopped, so there's no difference.

Thanks Steve. So as far as the distance of height, with the washer drain connection (at the top of the washer) being only a few inches below the standpipe height, you don’t see an issue with this (at risk of siphon or any other issues)?

Thanks for the reply. My washer drain connection is at the top of my machine (at approx. 36 1/2”) so I was concerned with if water would drain correctly as the standpipe height is only a few inches taller. My discharge hose is about 6 feet long, and hangs about 6 inches above the floor. I wasn’t sure if it’s ok like it is or if I cut a few feet off would it function better. There’s a link to pictures in my original post. Thanks for your input.

Author: packy (MA)

a washer standpipe is open to the atmosphere.
the hose sets down inside of it and as such it is possible to syphon water back out of the pipe.
BUT, the pipe would have to be full of water for this to happen.
it could only be full of water if the drain was blocked.
if that happened then water would spill out of the pipe onto the floor.
at that point you would know something is wrong and correct the problem.
the only way to be 100% sure to prevent syphonage is to create an air gap.
looks like this.

clap thumbs

Thanks so much Packy for the detailed explanation and illustration! Much appreciated and makes perfect sense.

Edited 1 times.

Re: minimum inches difference ....

Remember, the pump and tub drain are located at the bottom of the tub. It's just the output hose from the pump is run vertically inside of the cabinet, before exiting the top of the cabinet. You're not going to siphon anything.

Edited 1 times.

Re: minimum inches difference .... thumbs

Ah. Got it! Thanks Steve that explains a lot.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

There is no way a washer pump can discharge ALL the water since the pump is at the bottom of the machine and it CANNOT pump air.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.