Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Pressure lost on well pump/pressure tank system
Author: rider (NH)

I have a well pump and pressure tank question. I'm losing pressure at the faucets for a brief moment on occasion with the incidents growing more frequent. The loss of pressure can last from 10 seconds to about a minute. When it occurs and I can make it to the basement in time, the pressure gauge will read zero to 7 lbs. When the pump starts again the pressure immediately goes to 38 lbs and then continues to the 60 lb shut-off. Also, when I am able to observe this and the pump must be starting as the pressure immediately jumps to 38, I do not hear the low cut-off click on the pressure switch. My assumption is that it has already closed the contacts.

My well pump is 15 years old, the pressure tank is 1.5 years old and the pressure switch is 3 days old. Obviously I just changed the pressure switch hoping for this inexpensive solution. The cut-in and cut-off are correctly set at 40 and 60. Also, the extension for the pressure switch diaphragm is clear. I have checked the pressure tank by shutting off the house water and the well pump, draining the pressure tank and verifying the bladder is holding air at 38lbs. The pressure tank also sounds correct when I tap on the sides in that I can hear it is hollow where it should be and also it's only condensating on the bottom fifth now that the weather is hot and humid. But I am still having the momentary pressure loss at all points of use.

Is there anything I'm missing? Is it possible it could still be my pressure tank or does it sound like my well pump is giving me the opportunity to change it out at a convenient time before it kicks the bucket and a really inopportune time?

In advance, thank you for any input

Re: Pressure lost on well pump/pressure tank system
Author: packy (MA)

did you check the tube the pressure switch screws into ?
it may be partially clogged ?

I did. Removed it and confirmed it was clear as well as the female thread port on the tee.

Author: srloren (CA)

Could it be that you are losing the prime at the pump. I would have someone at the pit and open the faucets to see if it is a loss of prime problem. Assuming the switches are not defective.

Thanks for the suggestion but I should have mentioned my well is 505' deep so there's no checking on the pump.

Author: steve (CA)

Do you have a pump controller or just the pressure switch?

Pressure switch only

Author: steve (CA)

You need to either install a volt meter on the line side of the pressure switch or have a meter handy, so that you can check the voltage when the pump's not running when it should be. Normally I would say check voltage on load side, but if this pump condition was also with the old pressure switch, then either the supply voltage isn't getting to the switch or the wiring to the pump or the pump itself is bad.

Thank you Steve. Gonna put my meter right there so I can run down to the basement and check next time, if I make it in time. Tricky little sucker to catch. But this is definitely worth verifying.

Since it is happening with this new pressure switch as it did with the old, it does sound like the problem is after my pressure switch. I suppose after 15 years the wire or its connection at the pump could have become compromised but if that pump has to be pulled to check the wiring it's probably best to put a new pump on anyways at that point.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Is the pressure dropping off with no use?

Not that I have observed. System is in basement so it's out of sight normally but any time I have checked the pressure is in the correct range. It has been occurring during use, usually but not always, close to the beginning of the use period which seems that it happens on its first call to the pump.

steve's got the right idea. I wonder if you're dropping a leg on the 240? Bad breaker? Loose connection? Get yourself a length of wire, shut the breaker off and measure the resistance from the breaker down each wire to the line sides of the switch. They should be the same. If they are...go to the breaker the next time it happens.

I'll check this tomorrow. Thanks Paul

As suggested by Paul I started checking the integrity of the power circuit. I found the interrupter switch and the cable to the pressure switch to have good continuity readings. I had not been able to get the the panel cable to switch nor did I test the breaker. I was planning on just replacing these since the cost would be minimal but just tonight I was able to make it to the system during a pressure loss.

I observed the water line pressure to be less than 10 lbs, the pressure switch contacts were closed and I was able to get a reading of 243v on the service terminals on the pressure switch. After nearly a minute I could hear the water starting to fill the system from the well and the pressure went back to normal.

Sounds like the problem would be either with the pump of the cable between the pressure switch and the pump. Seem right?

Edited 1 times.

Sounds like it's time to pull the pump, to me.

Re: Pressure lost on well pump/pressure tank system clap

Paul and Steve, thank you very much for your input and guidance. I appreciate it.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.