Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can I move this trap?
Author: Marko1 (MO)

Hi,
here is a pic of shower trap.

I would like to move trap about a foot to the right.
Can I glue a 90 where the fernco is and reposition trap and vent to the right of the 2x4 (future wall location)?
Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Can I move this trap?
Author: srloren (CA)

As I take a second look at this and try to understand what the poster is wanting to accomplish, it appears that there may not quite be enough room to cut the horizontal and install the trap. It could be that removing the pipe downstream a few feet and changing the location of the vent to obtain a desired connection. I hope this addresses the question.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

which way is "to the right"? If to the right in the picture, just cut the pipe and mound a "P" trap on the end of it.

ah, so put a 45 tight to the bottom of subfloor, and another one just below the floor joist (you can see 1/2 of the joist to the right of the 2x4 top plate in the picture. That makes sense. so it's ok for the trap to not be directly under the drain? That was my main concern.
Thanks

yes, to the right in the picture.
So I admit to being ignorant of plumbing(that's why I'm here LOL).
I thought this *was* a ptrap? I'm just wondering if it's ok to have it a little to one side of the drain itself rather than directly below it. I would just like for the unavoidable protrusion below the ceiling to be inside the bathroom rather than outside of it. (to the right of the 2x4 rather than to the left)
Thanks,
marko

Author: hj (AZ)

IF I read that properly, then that is one thing you CANNOT do. You cannot have a fitting up high draining to another one which is lower, UNLESS you also install a vent between the trap and the higher fitting.

I guess I'm not describing my problem/question clearly.
In the picture there is a vertical fernco on the left and a horizontal one on the right (on either side of the trap).
If I remove those the trap "goes away".
I would like to put a 90 el where the vertical fernco was.
Then a short pipe horizontal to the right just past the 2x4.
Then the trap would attach there and would be to the right of the 2x4 (in the picture).
Srloren suggested a 45 in lieu of a 90...so that would mean two 45's, one near the subfloor and one at the bottom of the joist to create the equivalent of a 90, or a long sweep 90 in effect.
If I understood him correctly?

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Okay he’s asking if he can turn it to the right then install a “running trap” in the line to the right of that beam.

Thanks palm329!
Yes that's what I was trying to ask, apologies for not knowing the correct term.

Author: packy (MA)

I think you want to move the trap to the right and then offset the inlet to line up with the existing drop pipe ?
if so, that is fine to do.

Thank you all! smile clap

Thank you thank you!
Yes, that's what I was trying to ask.
thanks to all who replied smile

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thank you all! smile clap
Author: bernabeu (SC)

yes, you MAY install a 'running' a/k/a 'u' trap

it must, just like a 'p' trap, be vented

so

if you can fit it BEFORE the (existing) vent you are good-to-go

either trap must be vented on the left as you are viewing the diagram

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Daaaadeo (ID)

I see what you have there is similar.
My set-up has the Vent to the LEFT looking
At the picture.. so the exit of the
Trap would have to come up to a
San Tee that would go back to the LEFT where
The vent goes up the wall- then back the other direction where the waste is?
Shoot I'm making this confusing- Apologies...

Author: Daaaadeo (ID)

How would I connect to the Vent if it is to the LEFT
As opposed to both Vent and waste to the right
In this pic?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.