Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Double kitchen sink slow drain only one side
Author: noidea (VA)

Hello,

New here and have a question. Please bear with me as I have no knowledge about plumbing.

Double kitchen sink with disposal. When sinks are empty, there is no problem, I can have the water on at full blast without problems. However, when I dump a pot full of water in at once, 1) the larger sink drains very very slowly without sound, 2) the disposal side sink drains fast but with alot of bubbles and gurgling. Tried drano, snaking, took apart pipes, nothing worked.

Finally called a plumber. He put a vent onto the drain pipe under the sink. Problem resolved. However, it is happening again. Exact same thing. Plumber not responding. What can I do?

Thank you

Re: Double kitchen sink slow drain only one side
Author: packy (MA)

if you mean the plumber put an AAV (studor vent) into the drain, that will do absolutely no good. they only help after the water has passed by them. they do nothing to relieve a positive pressure.
can you post a picture of the under sink plumbing ?

Author: hj (AZ)

Obviously, the problem was NOT "Solved", and you need a better plumber.

I hope i did this right. The vent is attached to the pipe all the way in the back. Thank you!

that all looks good to me.
i have no idea why you are having this problem.
someone needs to be there and do a couple of tests.
you could try unscrewing the AAV and see if that helps?
i might at least give us a clue..

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I'll ask an obvious question.....Did the plumber dis-assemble the trap and make sure it is not full of debris from the disposal?

Author: sum (FL)

Curious, what is the blue tubing that appears to be tapped into the drain after the p-trap with a saddle clamp? Some sort of condensate discharge?

that is usually a discharge from a reverse osmosis system.
in fact I did see it but did not pay attention to the fact that it must be connected to the inlet side of the trap not the outlet side.
it will function just fine where it is bit if in the future someone disconnects the RO filter then sewer gases can enter the house thru that 3/8 tube.

Author: Curly (CA)

Some guys install the RO drain after the trap so you don't hear the waste water trickling in........

Re: Double kitchen sink slow drain only one side thumbs

Hello,

I removed the vent cap and voila, drains fine. Replaced with a new vent cap, and not working as well. It drains better than before, but still slower than when i had the vent cap completely off. Will replace with a completely different brand and see if that makes a difference. Thank you all for your help. This forum is great!

Edited 1 times.

Author: Palm329 (VA)

So with that added vent pipe totally open to the air, everythings fine, but when you add the AAV on it, you get issues.

Might this indicate a positive pressure issue including for example a double trap situation?

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.