Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need to turn pvc pipe less than 22.5 degrees
Author: Palm329 (VA)

Have an issue here... well my underground stubout isn’t aligned with my house perfectly... so now I need to change the direction a little but the only fittings I see are 22.5, 45, and 60 degrees... I think i need 12 or 15 degrees of turn. How would one do this?

Thanks!

Re: Need to turn pvc pipe less than 22.5 degrees
Author: packy (MA)

they make 1/4 bends (90deg). 1/8 bend (45). 1/16th bend (22.5) and 1/32 (11.25).
google search ... PVC 32nd bend.

Okay that’s awesome I’ve never seen that bend before. Not even sure if it’s available in My local plumbing supply house. Will call around tomorrow!

Now, if I have some strange angle I’m dealing with, is it possible for me to use two of these bends back to back with them rotated a bit with each other? I would imagine that I could get any angle of turn that I want like that, however, I’m not sure if my pipes would still be “in-plane” if you know what i mean.... like I’ll have some crazy vertical angle. Is this a valid option?

yeah, combining 2 fittings and rotating 1 to decrease the angle is done all the time. just angle then so the flow goes downhill not uphill.

Here’s a mock up that shows my angle issue.

Please excuse my use of the 2” pipe - that will actually be a 3”er.

The issue is the stubout at the bottom of the photo isn’t perfectly lined up with the runs of the new pipes I’ll install in those trenches.

that looks like a couple of 3 inch PVC street 22's will do the trick.
as you asked already, use the 2 fitting together. roll the downstream fitting up slightly and the upstream fitting down slightly.
you get a nice pitch and you will not lose much height nor will there be much resistance. maybe 1n inch and a half at most. but you have plenty of depth to that trench.
put the sand under the pipe as you go along so it will be plenty stable.
if you want to make the first downstream joint a no hub coupling, it will allow you to adjust that first joint since it won't be glued.
so, once again. make the two street 22's together on the workbench so you get the angle you are happy with. then use a shielded no hub coupling to put those fittings onto the existing stub.

Appreciate it Packy! I’ll pick up the 22.5’s and mock it up.

Yes i have plenty of depth as my sore body will attest to after this weekend... the low end there is 20” below the finished concrete floor level. The maximum run from this point is about 24’, which at quarter inch per foot slope means I should still be around 14” deep minimum.

Speaking of which, so should I bed this pipe in the sand as you and Sum suggested... and then what? With so much depth here... do I backfill with the dirt up, and then a couple inches of drainage gravel, and then re-pour the 4” concrete slab patch? Or must I go sand around pipe, then straight gravel all the way up to concrete? In that case I’ll have to hand carry all this dirt outside? No fun...

sand, dirt then gravel.

Author: sum (FL)

What about using a pair of 1/16 bends and do an offset at the downstream connection? In doing so you raise the pipes upstream to it, which translates into less digging. In making the offset connection you tweak the two fittings such that the downstream fitting aligns with the existing pipe and the upstream fitting points in the direction you desire and it's slope is either flat or angles up a little bit?

Edited 1 times.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

You need to buy a whole bunch of fittings and get creative...for example if you use a 60* elbow, then come back with a 45* the net result is 15*...

I had the same issue in this toilet drain below, I needed something like a 25* bend, so I used a pair of 22.5* elbows and a 45* to get just the right connection.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Author: hj (AZ)

You could probably have done the same thing with two street 45s.

Re: Need to turn pvc pipe less than 22.5 degrees clap

I ended up using the two 22.5 bends and it worked like a champ!!

Thanks all!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.