Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Total DFU question
Author: Palm329 (VA)

Getting ready to bust up some floor and I just want one final reconfirmation as my layout plan has slightly changed:

What size branch pipe will I need horizontally under my basement floor to service all these fixtures:

Kitchen sink + dishwasher + disposal
Clothes washer
Bar sink
2” basement floor drain
Toilet, lav, and shower group

The kitchen DFU count is confusing, but assuming worst case 2 DFU each that’s:
6 DFU for kitchen
3 DFU for washer
1 DFU bar sink
6 DFU bathroom group
6? DFU floor drain

Which is 22 DFU. What I’m finding conflicting information about is whether I need to go 3” or 4” PVC for a horizontal run under the basement floor.

I’m looking at one table which says for a 3” horizontal branch, the limit is 20 DFU, so I’m leaning towards using 4” til the first subsequent split in the branch...

Appreciate your guidance!!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Total DFU question
Author: srloren (CA)

These are the values for each residential fixture:

Toilet=3
lavatory=1
Clothes washer=2
Kitchen Sink=2 includes Disposal and Dish Washer
Shower=2 for 2" Trap
Bathtub=2 includes shower over the tub
Bar sink=1

Edited 1 times.

Srloren thank you.

How much DFU for the floor drain?

Author: steve (CA)

I think the stricter chart is for an individual fixture branch and not for the building drain branch. In CA, a horizontal building drain branch is good for 35 DFU's. Other charts show at least 42 DFUs.

Author: packy (MA)

back when toilets used 3.5 gallon per flush, we were allowed two toilets on a branch and three total in the whole house.
only time 4 inch was needed was with 4 or more toilets.
so, 3 inch is plenty big for what you have.
P/S, my chart says 42 DFU for 3 inch.
where did you get 6DFU for a kitchen? my chart says 2

Packy I said 6 “worst case” for kitchen, as I read online 2 DFU each for sink, dishwasher, garbage disposal. But it’s been clarified above that in a residential install the entire kitchen grouping is only 2 DFU. I guess if they are individually trapped, maybe they count as more.
Also, after doing more reading, it seems the DFU carrying capacity of the horizontal 3” pipe depends on its slope. So perhaps 20 DFU at 1/4” per foot, up to 50 DFU at 1/2” per foot of slope.

So it seems as long as my new branch is 3” at 1/4” per foot I will be fine with one bathroom, a kitchen, a washer, and a bar sink on the one line. It just seems like a lot to me but the math looks okay.

Sum to your question I’m planning on using a jackhammer because that’s what I know how to use. I’m not too worried about cracks as I’ll eventually install tile or something on the floor. Also I heard the saw is extremely dusty? Anyway, appreciate all the tips, I hadn’t thought about all that stuff and you’re right, better for me to figure it out now instead of learning the hard way later!

Author: steve (CA)

From the 2018 ICC-

That table is extremely confusing for a DIYer!!

Oh well here we go!!!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.