Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Troubleshooting shower water pressure
Author: Misstake (MS)

Last week while taking a shower the pressure suddenly was about half of normal. I immediately ran the water to the tub to check the pressure there and it was normal. I then ran the water back to the shower and pressure was normal again for about 30 seconds or so before cutting in half again. Did this a couple more times with the same result. I decided I would stop on my way home from work and pick up a new shower head. That did nothing to resolve the issue and in fact the pressure didnt even start off with normal pressure. Although my husband said the water was flowing great with the shower head off. We then decided to replace the diverter. Again with the diverter valve off water pressure is great. But it still didnt fix the problem. After reading up on this issue and finding out about the flow restricters in new shower heads we removed that and it did seem to help a bit. Pressure wasn't "normal" but it was improved from what it has been. We decided to put the old shower head back on to determine if the old diverter was the problem. It wasnt. I'm now noticing fluctuations in the Shower pressure. It starts off ok and declines over the span of a few mins. Ive actually had to divert the water to the tub and back to get a little pressure back. But Then there are times when the pressure seems to be back to normal (though never when I'm taking a shower, usually when I was trying to determine if there was any difference in pressure between the hot and cold water or check other fixtures)

I've checked all the other faucets in the house and they are all unchanged for the 7 years that weve lived here. It is an old house, bulit sometime in the 50s to 60s. We are on city water and there hasnt been any recent work done on the house or the plumbing. The problem seems isolated to the shower only and no one is running water elsewhere in the house at these times) Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Troubleshooting shower water pressure
Author: packy (MA)

you don't tell us if the shower is one handle or separate hot and cold.

also, does it have a non-scald feature?

Re: Troubleshooting shower water pressure
Author: Misstake (MS)

Sorry tried to include all the info I could think of but of course I always forget something. It is a two handle system. I doubt it has a non scald feature but I couldnt say for sure.
The only thing I know for sure thats been replaced is that we replaced the cold water valve a couple years ago.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.