Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Cleanout location
Author: Palm329 (VA)

Bottom of stack test-tee cleanouts in basement:

Suggested height above floor?

And,

How close to a room corner can it be? Like you know what if it’s only 1 foot in from a wall, does that cause you a big problem?

Thanks!

Re: Cleanout location
Author: packy (MA)

the advantage of a 'test tee' type cleanout is that you can clean the pipe in both directions.
a larger cleanout (3 or 4 inch) would want to be around the height of a sewer cleaning machine on wheels.
so higher than 12 but lower than 18 inches will do.

for a smaller size (2 inch) somewhere around 48 inches is fine since the plumber will be using a hand operated electric snake.

Author: hj (AZ)

IT should be low enough and far enough away from a corner that the plumber can get to it and use it.

Author: sum (FL)

I would think orientation is also important. Like don't rotate the CO to face a wall LOL.

quote; since the plumber will be using a hand operated electric snake.

You really think so? I would like to see you hold a 1/2" x 75' cable in a hand held. I only use the "hand held" for very short runs, usually through the "P" trap. Otherwise I use my large machine with the small drum.

Edited 1 times.

Thatis something a "construction" plumber would do.

when in the world would you use a 1/2 x 75 foot snake for a 2 inch pipe ?

On a 50', or longer, sink drain, obviously. In fact, I have had a couple when even 75' was not long enough.

in MA we are required to place cleanouts every change of direction 45 deg or more. there is also a limitation on how many linear feet of pipe we can run without installing a cleanout. so I have never used anything longer than 3/8 x 50 hand held on 2 inch pipe.
3 and 4 inch is a horse of a different color.

Where cleanouts SHOULD be and where they are accessible are two very different things. I would NOT do a "hand driven" 1/2" cable ANYWHERE. Although, back in the Flintstone era, my dad did have a 1/2" cable in a drum than had a hand cranked operator.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.