Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Quest polybutylene pipes 2019
Author: Routedeparis (MS)

Hello, I am a fairly new homeowner and I purchased my house in 2014. I have had 7 major pipe leaks since I have been in my home.

I have worked with 4 plumbers to fix the leaks. Two of the leaks, the ceiling dropped out and has damaged floors and walls furnishings, rugs etc. It has been so expensive! My house looks like Swiss cheese!

I have just learned that my pipes are Quest and that they were a part pf a class action lawsuits in the 90s, which has now expired. I can’t find a good plumber to help me in Hattiesburg, Mississippi who will respond to my request for an estimate to replace the pipes.

I also just had a divorce and am starting over so I dont have big money to repipe a two story house. My question is, is there still any way to recover damages from the existing lawsuit or to sue the pipe company or to recover loss from having to replace bad pipes?

Also, I have city water, but it smells very strongly of chlorine. Which type of pipes is best to use for this type of water? All of my neighbors have had the same problems with major floods in their houses, which I assume is down to Quest pipes.

I don’t know how to find a plumber who knows what they are doing. The plumbers I’ve used in the past have not even known that they were Quest pipes, though behind the toilets it says, “QUEST” on the pipes. I would think a professional would know that these were bad.

I have hear Pex just renamed their business but they are in fact, Quest, so I feel a bit leery to use their products i the replacement. What do you recommend I do? Thank you so much for helping me.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Quest pipes 2019
Author: NP16 (OR)

I think your battle is more with your own home inspector and the seller of the house for non-disclosure.

did you get a home inspection before bought the home? If so does it mention the non-code water pipe known for spontaneous breaks?

Author: packy (MA)

it is probably going to be more costly to open up the walls and ceilings and then to close everything back up, paint etc than it will to replace the pipes.
if you open things up and remove the piping, the holes are all drilled so you just have to snake the pex tubing around and make the connections.
pex will stand up very well to chlorine.

Author: steve (CA)

PEX is a type of pipe, not a company. The material is cross-linked polyethylene. Quest was a company that sold polybutylene pipe(Pcool smiley.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Author: NP16 (OR)
I think your battle is more with your own home inspector and the seller of the house for non-disclosure.

did you get a home inspection before bought the home? If so does it mention the non-code water pipe known for spontaneous breaks?

Unfortunately, the ONLY 'relief' would be the refund of the 'inspection' fee - as per the signed contract.

One should read before signing.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.