Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Replaced Delta Cartridge (RP25513) Now Roman Tub Handle for Hot Wrong Direction When Closed
Author: jiggles74 (VA)

Hello.

I noticed my Delta faucet was leaking from underneath the handle on the Hot water side. Replaced the cartridge with Delta OEM Part RP25513. When I installed the handle and turned back on water the off position is what used to be the on position.

To attempt a fix I reversed the stem on the cartridge 180 degrees but didn't remedy the situation. If I switch the tab side the handle completely reverses direction going counterclockwise instead of clockwise to operate.

When I look at the old cartridge and the new cartridge the alignment of what I call the "half moon" metal piece on bottom is off 180 degrees compared the the alignment of the stem. On the old the flat piece of stem (non-rounded) is opposite the half moon when closed. On the new one the flat piece of stem (non rounded) is the same as half moon. Here is a picture of what the new cartridge looks like on bottom.

[#$%&]

I've searched the posts for this forum, Home Depot, Google, etc. and see about reversing the stem but it doesn't work when I've tried.

Hopefully it is something very simple.

Thanks in advance.

Edited 7 times.

Re: Replaced Delta Cartridge (RP25513) Now Roman Tub Handle for Hot Wrong Direction When Closed
Author: steve (CA)

From Delta's website. -
In order to have the handles point out away from the spout in the off position, then rotate 90 degrees towards you to the full on position, the two stem units have to be positioned a certain way.

For the hot handle, the built-in plastic stop for the stem needs to be facing in toward the spout. For the cold handle, the built-in plastic stop needs to be facing away from the spout.

Once the stems are set up this way and the bonnet nut has been tighten down around them, you'll want to use pliers to rotate the brass stems so that the flat part on each stem is facing away from the spout, towards the stop. Lastly, install the handles

Re: Replaced Delta Cartridge (RP25513) Now Roman Tub Handle for Hot Wrong Direction When Closed
Author: jiggles74 (VA)

Hi Steve.

Appreciate your response. I tried doing exactly as you/Delta outlined and it still didn't work. The metal piece that is solid on the bottom of stem never would align with the water inlet hole when handle was in off position no matter how I aligned the valve stem after tightening the nut. The metal piece was always 180 degrees off when compared to the old cartridge orientation.

After trying twice, I pulled the old stem off and inserted it into the new top cartridge piece with the fresh gaskets. So far no leaks from under the handle. Very frustrating as I could not figure this out and yet seems so simple.

Thanks for the response!

Author: slakerfunf (FL)

I have experienced exactly the sane problem with my roman tub hot handle being mis-aligned after replaing the Delta RP25513 cartridge. The problem is limited to the hot handle and I followed the instructional response to your posted question. could you tell me what the final solution is to the problem? Reusing the old cartridge doesn't seem to be a good option.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.