Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Drain connection for new basement sink
Author: smj (AZ)

Hi all,

I'm finishing a basement and am adding an extra sink to service a small kitchenette in a theater room. I have a few drain options. It turns out it is on the wall exactly opposite the bathroom tub, so I could tie in to the pipe between the tub overflow and the tub bottom drain (with a vent at the sink trap to avoid double trapping). Other option is I could tie into a drain stack that is draining the laundry. Tie in would be a few inches above the cleanout. Those are the two most direct drain options and both are within feet of the sink. Anything I need to consider in deciding which option is optimal--or do neither work and I need a third?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Drain connection for new basement sink
Author: hj (AZ)

you need a third option.

Any particular reason those options don't work? A third would be to route over to the existing bathroom sink drain--that would involve two 90 degree turns and a total of about 30 feet. It's doable though if the first two are no-no's. Fourth option would be to break into the cement floor, though I would prefer not to do that unless necessary.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

can you get to this bathroom sink vent that you mention?
if you can, I don't see anything wrong with using the laundry drain as long as you vent the new sink into a proper vent stack.

Yeah, I would add a vent for the new sink. I should be able to tie in to the basement bathroom vent stack without too much trouble--it's nearby and exposed. (Or my jurisdiction does allow Studors, so I could use that as a last resort if for some reason I cannot tie into the existing vent.)

Just want to make sure there are no problems with tying into a drain stack for upper floor waste, either with code or otherwise. (As I would really love to not have to cut into the floor for this particular job...!)

I would not use an AAV if you tie a lower floor sink into a an upper floor stack.
an AAV will not compensate for the positive pressure created by the upper floor washing machine draining. a real live vent pipe will give the positive pressure a place to go.

Roger that. No AAV in this situation makes sense. While I'm at it, a closer inspection of the laundry stack revealed the following:

[postimg.cc]

The trap on the left is for the washing machine, so the branch at the top of the picture must be the vent, right? In which case, can I tie the sink vent in here somehow as well? It's much closer and easy to access than the bathroom vent.

Edited 1 times.

you can tie into it but you must tie in 6 inches higher than the flood rim of the washing machine.

Author: Palm329 (VA)

If you somehow successfully tie it into the tub overflow pipe, make sure you take a photo and share it here!

I actually saw om a forum somewhere where some guy claimed to do just that. That's where I got the idea. Based on the response here... definitely *not* going that direction!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.