Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 wet vent with AAV
Author: stekun (UT)

Hi,

I'm a DIY-er with good experience in carpentry, but not so much with plumbing. I am preparing to finish my basement and am getting plans together for plumbing the bathroom. The home was built about 2 years ago and the builders roughed-in for a basement bathroom at that time. The rough-in gave me three stubs in the floor: two 2" drains (for lav and tub) and one 3" for the toilet. However, there is no apparent rough-in for the vents; the lav drain just sticks up and is capped off with no stack continuing up to a vent system, nor is there a stub in the ceiling to connect into a vent system. I checked my building codes and they do allow AAV venting--and, indeed, my kitchen sink on the first floor utilizes an AAV (although it's the only one--all the 1st and 2nd floor bathroom lavs connect into a passive vent system). As there is also no apparent vent stack in my basement for the toilet and/or tub drains, I figure they are wet venting to the rough-in for the basement lav drain.

My question is, will I have any problems (code or physical) by using an AAV on alav drain that is also functioning as a wet vent for the rest of the bathroom system? I don't love the idea, but it seems it may be my only option short of trying to run a new vent to the roof (which would be way beyond my pay grade).

Thanks!

Edited 3 times.

Re: wet vent with AAV
Author: packy (MA)

assuming that you are correct in thinking the bathroom group is all wet vented thru the lav, then you are fine using an AAV located behind the lav.
make sure the one you use is rated for multiple fixtures.

Thanks! I'm going to try to get a copy of the plans to verify the vent configuration for the rough-in to see if my assumption is correct. It seems that the only other possibility is that there is a vent stack to the roof that was put in the concrete walls and so is not visible. In that case, however, putting in an AAV anyway shouldn't hurt anything, right?

Author: packy (MA)

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there is no vent stack inside the cement walls.
a proper wet vent will have the lav drain act as a vent for all 3 fixtures.
this is an example of a bathroom wet vented. yours has drains underground so ignore the 1 1/2 and change that to 2inch. that is the minimum size allowed underground.

Thanks. I agree this is probably how it is configured (with the 2" as you mention). The "vent-in-concrete-wall" idea was suggested to me by a plumber friend who claims he runs vents that way "all the time" when he roughs-in for new construction.

Thing is, I cannot find a vent connection overhead anywhere. So either the plumber intended for the system to be vented with an AAV, or else I'm just too incompetent to locate the vent connection--a possibility I certainly won't dismiss! For some reason, I don't want to use an AAV unless I absolutely have to, so I guess that's why I'm fretting about finding some other vent option first...

Author: hj (AZ)

I doubt very much that he "does it all the time" because it would be very time intensive to do it.

Indeed. He made it sound like he roughs it in before they pour the walls. I was surprised to hear that was a possibility, but I can only take him at his word.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

Typically you would just continue the lav stub up....install a san tee for the sink trap, then continue that drain line up and through the ceiling as necessary to tie into the main stack as the vent. Depending on where the stack is you may have a lot of drilling to get through framing, and given thr choice between drilling (and weakening) joists, the AAV is a preferred alternative.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.