Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Intermittent leak Tub Spout
Author: loutheinstruct (NY)

I have a Delta T17464 Ashlyn Moniter 17 Dual Function Pressure balanced Tub & Shower, it's a new installation.
Inttermittenly a teaspoon of water drips out from tub spout approximately every 18 to 36 hours. Sometimes it has gone for three to four days without dripping. I spoke to a Delta representitive and they sent out a new cartridge (T-46463)to replace the one I had. It has not solved the problem. The universal valve used was a Multi Choice Rough-in by Delta it was a pex installation except for diverting the shower, we used 1/2" copper.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks,
Lou

Re: Intermittent leak Tub Spout
Author: srloren (CA)

Turn off your water at the Main valve where it enters the house and The tub valve needs to be disassembled and soak the internal of the body with 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 Water by stuffing a soaked V and W rag into the hole and letting it set over night. You should pour more V and W solution into the horizontal hole to soak the rag for better results. Then flush the internal with water and put the cartridge back in place. and test it by turning the water back on.

Author: hj (AZ)

You must have missed the part where he said he "installed a new cartridge from Delta". Besides "defective parts" leak ALL the time, not just every so often. The leak is being caused by some intermittent problem, possibly extra high pressure at those times.

Edited 1 times.

Author: srloren (CA)

You are good at keeping me on subject hj....thanks.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

>> Inttermittenly a teaspoon of water drips out from tub spout approximately every 18 to 36 hours

Are you saying that, on occasion, one teaspoon of water drips out from tub spout, and that this reoccurs every 18-36 hours? Depending on the valve and plumbing configuration and when the shower diverter is activated, a cup of water or more may drain out of a faucet after it is used. This is water that had been diverted to the shower head and remained in the pipes after turning off the valve. We have one bath nozzle diverter that goes "Clang" and belches a few ounces of water minutes or hours after someone takes a shower.

The amount of water you describe is so small that I suspect it is the system draining. Can you avoid using this shower for several days? If I am correct, the problem will stop when the pipes are drained, and the total amount of water will be quite small. You could also try activating the shower diverter with the valve turned off if your valve allows this.

If the leak is continuous there is another problem.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.