Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 T&P relief valves question
Author: ericsandstone (TX)

Some in our company are tasked with inspecting plumbing systems in client's homes. When should we & should we not "exercise" these valves?

Reason for the question: I was called out to client's home to discern why the drain pan under a 4 year old WH had water in it after another person from same company went out to inspect and flush the WH's.

I called the tech and asked if he exercised the valves. Yes, he did and no there was not water in the pan when he left.

I wound up putting a new valve in and rerouting the discharge piping over the pan and down close to garage floor.

I would like to eliminate this kind of problem for those times when I am doing the inspections.

Re: T&P relief valves question
Author: bernabeu (SC)

the T-PSRV is tested annually - PERIOD

the discharge pipe must terminate in a safe VISIBLE location where it will do no damage when discharging - PERIOD

the valve is replaced as needed - PERIOD

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

Exactly, and some companies recommend that their technicians test the T&P valve on every visit to a home.

Author: NP16 (OR)

after 8 years or so it would make sense just to replace the T&P valve (dripping or not).
The sensing probe and internals are likely corroded or covered in limescale.

I haven't had one customer tell me they check their T&P valve regularly or at all.
I do get calls when they are dripping and it's usually a symptom of thermal expansion.

Author: packy (MA)

I have been plumbing in homes since the late 60's and started my own business in the early 70's.
the next relief valve I test will be my FIRST.

Re: T&P relief valves question thumbs
Author: ericsandstone (TX)

Thank you for all of the info

Edited 1 times.

Author: sum (FL)

I am not a plumber but I own rental properties.

I do a 20 minute "maintenance visit" every 30-45 days to all of them. To test smoke/fire alarms (and change back up batteries if necessary), to change the air conditioning filters, and to test/flush the WH T&P valves. Every three months I exercise all shutoffs to all fixtures, main shutoff, hot and cold faucets, toilet supply valves, WH inlet valves etc... by turning them on and off a number of times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.