Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 low water pressure hot side only
Author: Wes Gage (CA)

out of the blue I lost pressure on the hot water throughout the house. I have drained and flushed the water heater which is 12 yrs old and was fairly clean. If you use one devise at a time the pressure is ok but not like before, however if you turn on more than one faucet, bath or shower the pressure goes to very little or none. i was told when i bought the house that it has rolled plumbing throughout if that matters. I've tried running hot and cold at the same time (cold has awesome pressure)I have even plug some fixtures and opened one then turned the hot on in the plugged fixtures and nothing. Does anybody have any other suggestions before I call a plumber? No new fixtures add and all valves are fully opened.

Re: low water pressure hot side only
Author: srloren (CA)

Replace your water heater if it is 12 years old....it has in all probability run its life span. After the new one is installed and all the air has been vented from your system your pressure should be back to normal.

Author: packy (MA)

the heater most likely has some sort of heat trap nipples at the H&C connections. it is possible one or both are clogged ?
try this.
run a garden hose from a faucet to the heater location.
use a washing machine hose to connect the garden hose to the drain valve on the heater.
turn it on all the way and open the drain valve to feed what you know is full pressure into the tank.
take off a faucet aerator and open the hot side to see what happens.
this is step one of trying to figure out what is happening.
heat trap nipples pictured below.

one last question.
did this happen slowly or abruptly ?

abruptly, I followed your instructions and there is no change in pressure any other suggestions?

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

well that eliminates any problem with the incoming cold water.
next step is to figure out if the hot water outlet nipple is clogged.
this of course means cutting a pipe to have a look-see at the nipple.
I would turn off the cold water to the heater, drain some water from the tank, cut the hot outlet pipe about 1 1/2 inches above the tank, cover the top with a big towel and briefly turn the cold back on.
you will know immediately if there is pressure or not.
if you have no pressure then the problem is at the tank outlet.
just how much you want to get into this procedure is up to you.
you can put the pipe back together with a sharkbite coupling to restore your hot water.

I have to apologize apparently I had a kink in a non kink hose so I reconnected and the water pressure was restored with one exception being when you turn the bath on in the master you lose pressure everywhere. I did disconnect the copper flex from the top of the water heater leading to the hose and did not see blockage. I did not check the cold water inlet valve. I checked the cold water inlet and of course it was plugged by some small rocks and a piece of plastic. Thank you packy for all your help

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.