Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help Bathroom Mould/Corrosion - Impossible to Resolve
Author: steve1990 (Non-US)

Hi, I'm hoping someone may be able to provide some advice. I recently purchased an apartment in the South of Spain. The building is only 10 years old however I completely renovated the 2 x bathrooms, I stripped out everything and replaced it with new. Both the bathrooms are internal with no natural light or venting however both have extractor fans fitted.

The metal fixtures in both bathrooms (although primarily the main one) have been suffering from either a form of mould or corrosion, I'm not sure which. The ‘dirt’ that appears can be wiped/scrubbed clean however it reappears normally within 24-48 hours maximum. Initially I suspected high humidity/mould was the issue as despite the extractor the main bathroom does get very steamy/humid when showering. To try and resolve this I installed a second larger extractor in the main bathroom directly above the shower and I bought/run a small dehumidifier in the room 24/7.

The issue however didn’t go away. I then bought a hygrometer to monitor the humidity. Whilst the humidity spikes during showering it drops back within 10-20 minutes to between 50-60% humidity (the ideal range from what I understand).

I’ve tried cleaning this mould/dirt/corrosion with vinegar, bleach, antibacterial sprays and bathroom cleaner sprays. No matter what I use it reappears. There is no sign of dampness, mould or damage anywhere else in the bathroom although the main bathroom on occasion has an odd smell. The ceiling/ceramics are fine it’s only the metal fixtures that suffer from the issue? I’ve attached some photos of the problem to an album which can be access via the link below. Help!?

[postimg.cc]

Edited 5 times.

Re: Help Bathroom Mould/Corrosion - Impossible to Resolve
Author: bernabeu (SC)

? sub standard fixtures ?

test by placing something else in bathroom and see if it also 'corrodes'

best of luck

frowning

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: steve (CA)

Are the fan housings located in an attic? Are the housings covered in insulation? Is there a big temperature difference between above and below the housings?

Author: sum (FL)

This is bizairre. I think condensation from the humid air, when formed on the fixtures cause some sort of chemical reaction? No problem on tiles only on metal? The thing is even metal fixtures today many are covered with non metallic coatings unless anodized. I would put ather objects in the bathroom to test, something like a metal spoon, metal salt pepper shakers, a copper pot to see if the same problem occur.

Hopefully it's not the Chinese drywall syndrome.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

Steve,

We see spots on metal in your photos. You said they reappear within hours. This is much faster than mold or mildew typically appear. However, rust and corrosion stains can easily appear that quickly. Do these spots appear on non-metallic surfaces? If not you have a rust/corrosion issue. Live with it or replace the fixtures with expensive ones that will resist corrosion longer.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.