Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 plumbing for water softener/location
Author: bspratt22 (FL)

installing water softener for first time in mid 80's home we bought in Fla. Main line coming in from exterior side of garage. Also have a water heater in the garage. Actually already installed the M30 Morton system from Sams but probably made huge mistake (us DIY people never learn) I installed the system using stainless hoses before the cold water input to water heater. For some reason I read online that this would be ideal? We are still renovating this home and have not moved in yet but now I'm thinking we are only softening the hot water yes? Dumb question but the hot water cannot service both cold and hot through the home? After more reading online I'm thinking there should be a hot and cold feed (from incoming main) right near/behind the water heater? This home never had a softener and I've actually never used or installed one but should I just start cutting out drywall behind where the two water heater input/output 3/4" pipes are coming out of wall? BTW, I also installed a whole house filter to keep the rocks out before the softener then the output of softener inputs back to the cold water input on the water heater. Hope this makes sense thanks in advance - Bill

Re: plumbing for water softener/location
Author: hj (AZ)

You fo NOT "start cutting" ANYTHING, until you know what you are doing, and at this point, given what you have posted, you do not.Where does the water come from going INTO the softener, and did you connect to the hot water cold inlet, or use a tee to make the connection?

Thank you, clearly I don't know what I'm doing which is why I have asked for help. Not offended - I learn by doing and sometimes yes break things. Before starting the project we had 2 pipes behind the water heater which were connected via stainless hoses to the water heater. I will call one the cold water feed which has a turn valve (open/close) on top of it. This fed into cold side of water heater. The hot side output of water heater connected to the other pipe going back into the house. Now not knowing anything about our plumbing more than what I have described I purchased additional stainless hoses and connected the "cold water feed" 1st pipe a newly purchased whole house filter. Then connected outflow hose from this filter to input side of water softener. Then connected output (outflow) side of softener to cold water input side of water heater. Did not touch the hot water side (output) of water heater since it already had a connection to the wall. Like I said, somewhere I read this would work but did not think it through. Am I correct in saying the current install softens our hot water supply to our home? Probably sounds basic to someone experienced but need to confirm this. Your question about a "Tee" intrigues me (no I didn't use one) but you will need to explain how that might work and will that allow me to soften both hot and cold water at this location. BTW, I do have a drain available in a laundry sink so think we are okay there thanks - Bill

Author: hj (AZ)

The way you have it connected, it only softens the hot water. IF you can install a water line from the main water supply to the softener inlet, then reconnect the cold water line from the wall to a tee at the water heater, then it would soften the entire house, including any hose faucets, which would have only been isolated if they had installed provision for a softener during construction.

Re: plumbing for water softener/location clap

Thanks, I do think we can do what you have suggested. Appreciate the help!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.