Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bonding csst
Author: jonniebaby (OK)

What do you bond Csst to? One clamp goes on the piping, then the wire goes from that clamp to where?

Re: Bonding csst
Author: packy (MA)

from the internet.
"That means that the bonding conductor for CSST can be connected to the metallic water piping coming into the home, a ground rod at the exterior, or anywhere else on the service grounding electrode system. This change makes it much easier to properly bond CSST.Nov 22, 2016".

Author: jonniebaby (OK)

So if I’m reading that right, One clamp on the gas pipe, and the other end clamped to copper water line?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

yes - assuming the copper is, itself, properly bonded to ground

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

" the metallic water piping coming into the home"
not to any old water pipe.

Author: steve (CA)

The clamp attaches to a steel/brass nipple or fitting, not to the flexible tubing. The other end connects to the
electrical service grounding system. The only part of an interior metallic water pipe that can be used as part of the electrical service grounding system is the first 5 feet of it that enters the structure. Check the Article 250 of the NEC for what is considered the electrical service grounding system.

lots of good examples here.. [www.google.com]

Author: NoHub (MA)

Are you guy's really still using the yellow stuff !!!!

TracPipe's (Black rubber coated) CounterStrike csst Put an end to Bonding 15 years ago.(Grounding).

all I use is the black coated CSST. no bonding needed.

Author: Plumb Crazy (CA)

As other posters have said, the newer CSST lines have a faraday cage webbing embedded into the outer coating (now typically black, distinguishing it from non shielded CSST). The bond webbing is similar in principal to the braid found in coaxial cable.

In my area, I've never seen this newer type of CSST sold in big box stores like Lowe's or Home Depot.

I'd rather go through whatever it takes to hard pipe gas than use CSST.... too many lawsuits, too many reports of properly bonded, professionally installed CSST still blowing holes, too many windmills on the hill. Signed, Quixote.

In answer to your question, does the manufacturer of the CSST you are using have a website? Since there are several different manufacturers of CSST, each with patent protected proprietary connector and installation idiosyncrasies, that would be where I'd look first, even if I had to call the company, where no online literature is available.

When I at one time was considering a CSST installation, the manufacturer recommended bonding at the connectors only, never the tubing itself. My jurisdiction required a 6AWG bare copper bond wire between the gas line connector and the water piping connected to the appliance (water heater) being served.

This doesn't answer for CSST fed fireplace inserts, where no water piping is present. Or what is done when water pipes are all PEX. If not hiring a licensed HVAC/Plumbing professional trained in gas, then the amount of research and study of the best practices needed for a safe installation is beyond the scope of anything I've ever read in a plumbing forum.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.