Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 adding a hose bib (NOT)
Author: sum (FL)

Thinking of adding a hose bib on this exterior wall. There is an existing copper pipe there.

What is strange is the pipe seems to come out of the wall runs down then disappeared again. I am sure it's this way for a "good" reason, just not sure why...and half the pipe is buried in stucco.

I am thinking of chipping out the stucco where the top elbow is, and see if I can unsolder the elbow, and solder back in a tee. This will give me a new branch facing up, although I don't think I can solder a male adapter there and still have room to turn in a garden valve without hitting the wall. Do I have to put in an elbow and come out? or is it better to cut out a section in the middle of the pipe, insert a tee and no stop coupling?

Edited 1 times.

Re: adding a hose bib
Author: steve (CA)

Is that a drain for a pressure relief or supply pipe? I don't see a fitting hub at the bottom.

Author: srloren (CA)

What is on the other side of the wall at this exposed tubing location? What size is the copper tubing we see in the photo? We need more info to help you.

Author: packy (MA)

sum, given the tightness of the location of this copper pipe, you might be better off using a sharkbite slip tee.
put it in, use a couple of copper clips to secure it and cement back over.

i'm not a big fan of sharkbite but in this case it seems prudent.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

bottom of pipe appears to be open to atmosphere

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

my apologies. I need to do a bit more recon, perhaps chip away the top and bottom's caked up stucco to have a better look. I will report back with better pictures.

OK I figured out what it is, it's a copper pipe from the water heater's T&P valve. I initially didn't think it was opened at the bottom, because it was packed with debris and painted over. After I cleaned the bottom and shoved a screwdriver into the pipe and removed all the debris trapped in there I was able to release water from the water heater through that pipe. I think no one has touched that T&P valve for years.

I didn't think it's a pipe connected to the water heater valves because it's 1/2". I have always put 3/4" copper for those myself and code requires 3/4" as far back I can remember. This 1/2" must have been original from 1941 when 1/2" was OK or may be there wasn't any code then.

So no hosebib there.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.