Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Best shower component quality
Author: alternety (WA)

Hi, I am trying to figure out what shower components are the most reliable. I figure this site will have a bunch of skilled opinions.

I have to revamp a walk in shower. The shower has an obsolete valve set in the wall. The wall is cement board and tile, and I will have to cut into it to replace the valve and the piping for the shower. My wife has been diagnosed with Parkinson and is rapidly getting worse. I need to replace everything with suitable shower equipment. My current issue is picking a suitable shower system (parts kits, etc,). I have spent many many days looking at shower parts.

My problem is, I see a fair number of shower system/parts that would have an acceptable configuration, but I have found little information about brand quality/reliability. There are too many. And most reviews I have found are essentially a reworded copy of Amazon listings.

So, to the point. I would appreciate getting feedback from pros about the quality of product across the manufacturers lines. You presumably have a huge bunch of views on the "best" quality manufacturers. If possible, by product line since a good number of the manufacturers have multiple product lines. Generally with multiple cost points but unknown differentiating of features/construction/materials. The more responses I get the better I can see a trend in consensus.

I will need a pole to hold the handheld head. The locking mechanism needs to be sure and easily operated. There are products that utilize a pole to provide a single path of water. This feels like an excellent approach and it is my favorite. It gives the most access to the components for a handicapped person.

Another configuration could be a shower head on the existing in-the-wall pipe (preferably with multiple adjustable spray patterns) and a handheld head with multiple spray patterns. Piping to use only the locations of the existing valve equipment and the high fixed pipe for the top shower head.

Other parameters:
- Temperature controlled valves
- Diverter to allow either top or handheld sprays to work individually or turn everything off. The addition of
both sprays on at the same time would be nice.
- Hand held needs to have a long hose, not too heavy, and easily adjustable

I have been trying to come to a conclusion for a rather long time. It is becoming critical.

Input will be gratefully received.

Re: Best shower component quality
Author: packy (MA)

I have installed a few of these.
nice big handles that are easy to grip and turn.
the 'post' as you call it is an actual grab bar that will easily hold an adult's weight. most are just a flimsy bar that is meant to hold the hand held but not to be used as a grab bar.
shop around as prices vary greatly.
also, symmons offers a lifetime guarantee on their parts.
the customers I installed these for were very pleased.
[www.symmons.com]
forgot to mention this offers either/or but not both at once.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

follow up.

if you want to use both outlets at once you will need a different set-up
the best and probably the most expensive out there is made by grohe.
you would need a thermostatic main control valve (which is left on and set to your favorite temperature).
the you need separate volume controls for as many outlets as you desire.

Author: marlinman (FL)

I agree with Packy. I had the simular situation with my wife. I had no doubt that I would use Symmons valves and components. They now offer a 6 function diverter that gives shared functions. #3DIV-Body. You can have a system as plain as you want to many decorative trims.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.