Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sump pump on a horizontal drain
Author: strawboss (Canada)

I've just bought my first house in the country on a well & septic.

One project was to run 1 1/4" abs pipe from my sump pump to the outdoors. It runs 6' up to the basement ceiling then 21' to the backyard. It drops 5 1/2" along the way.

That went so well I got the idea of combining the water softener drain line to this pipe using a dishwasher wye.
All seemed good then I noticed the force of the sump pump discharge would push back along the WS drain...just an inch or so then things would settle.

There's not a lot of room up there for a standpipe, even a short one so I was thinking of some sort of mechanical vent "upstream" of the wye fitting, does this look like a solution?

I know I'm not allowed to tie the WS drain into a sewage line without an air gap & trap/standpipe but this is a slightly different deal. I don't want to siphon this stuff into the water softener.

Re: Sump pump on a horizontal drain
Author: hj (AZ)

That is about the worst idea you have ever had. You will not "siphon" the water into the softener, the pump's pressure will PUSH it into the softener. You CANNOT combine the two drains.

Author: packy (MA)

since the water softener drain is only 1/2 inch, why not just run a length of 1/2 inch vinyl drain hose along side the pump discharge pipe? just tie wrap them together.

Quote"That is about the worst idea you have ever had. You will not "siphon" the water into the softener, the pump's pressure will PUSH it into the softener. You CANNOT combine the two drains."

Hang on, you've only heard this one idea so far! grinning smiley

Edited 2 times.

There's no room beside the pipe for the 1/2" tube to exit the house. It gets cold up here & if I ran it outside with it's own matching pipe it would freeze come November.

I think I'll run the tube down the existing pipe half way or more to where I can plumb a short stack to fix the tube to it and get the air gap I need, I am concerned that the sump water would use it as an escape route though.

YOu man you could come up with a worse one? One that would kill you immediately,instead of long term?

You CANNOT "Fix" the softener line to the "existing pipe"in any way, shape, or form. Put the drain into the pit where the pump is.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.