Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Tracer wire in NJ
Author: T.RIZZI (NJ)

I had a new supply line put in and the plumber used plastic pipe, I guess when the inspector came by to look at the depth of the trench he told the plumber that he would need a tracer wire with this type of pipe.I wasn't here for that conversation.
So long story short I paid the guy thinking all was well, I called for a final inspection and failed bc he forgot to put in the tracer wire.
after a few phone calls to the plumber he seemed to think he could work it out, now he won't call me back.

Any ideas on how I can get the finale inspection done after the pipe is buried ?

Re: Tracer wire in NJ
Author: packy (MA)

it is required for plastic gas pipe but I never heard of it for plastic water pipe ???

Author: DaveMill (CA)

Some places require it. Here's one example.

[www.mudomaha.com]

Contact your city/county/whoever the inspector works for and ask for the regulation number and reference document. Sometimes the inspector has an overactive imagination, more often they know exactly what they're talking about.

Edited 3 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Required in CA.

not required in MA.

Author: hj (AZ)

CA requires EVERYTHING , but that does not necessarily apply to the other 49 states. We are right next to CA, but it it is not required here, except to gas piping. The only way to install a "proper trace wire", is to excavate down to the pipe and install it. They could bury the wire below the surface following the path of the ditch, but a good inspector would figure that out very quickly if he is the same one who rejected the job.

Edited 1 times.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

The example I shared above was from Nebraska.

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

We have been required for some time now to install 10 ga. tracer wire on all plastic water pipe. Just this month, plastic sewer pipe has been added to this requirement.

10 ga ??? the tracer will cost more than the plastic pipe.

Author: m & m (MD)

It was 12 ga. but got bumped to 10 ga. about a year or so ago.

They must go by the "bigger is better" theory because a locator only needs a wire, almost any wire, to follow the route of a pipe.

The water supply line is almost 5 feet deep because of the frost line, do you think I could bury the wire 6 inches or so deep along the path of the pipe and be able to pass the finale inspection?

I'm trying to avoid digging up the whole yard again.

Author: sum (FL)

I called the city to find out where my sewer line is last year. They came out and used a metal detector and found nothing. I said its PVC, the city said they are supposed to throw in a metal disk where the pipe crosses my property line. That was required when the properties connected to the city sewers in 2008.

But then he said some might toss the disk far away, some removed it before backfilling, some even used broken hub caps (really?) and for whatever reason, mine is not showing up. but "it's down below somewhere" and he left. :s

Edited 1 times.

ALL good sewer utilities have maps showing the distance your connection is to the manhole, and its depth. Once that is known it is easy to measure it.

It might not get past a "by the book" inspector, and "digging it up" should be part of the original installation since it was not done them.

The city told me they don't have as-builts maps all they have is the engineering maps showing "proposed theoretical" locations which could deviate from what was actually installed by "a lot".

I don't know the answer to that, but I would call the city and ask the inspector what they would need to see to pass the inspection.

If the wire is supposed to convey depth in addition to horizontal position burying 6" would not fly.

They might also need to see the wire and the pipe at the same time unless they are willing to take your words as to the wire reflects the location of where you say the pipe is.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

tough love:

there was not time nor money to do it correct

now

there WILL be time and money to dig it again

? permit pulled for original work ?

? code specification given to licensed, insured, bonded, contractor ?

or

did y'all settle for 'that's what the contractor gave me' because it was cheap and quick ?

! not so much now !

frowning

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

In that case, they should get busy with sewer cameras and "locate" them exactly, and check the lines at the same time.

He is licensed, I hired him bc he is a vet, I am surprised that he won't even call me back.

T.RIZZI you did the right thing. I too would always give preference to a US vet. we can be responsible for the way WE act but we can not be responsible for the way someone else acts.

? licensed plumber or merely licensed contractor ?

? volunteer during an actual Congressionally declared war or draftee or volunteer in time of peace ?

unfortunately some people get into the military because it is the 'employer of last resort'

politically incorrect, but true

ps. my 'battle' was 'nam

Without a permit, there would have been no reason for an inspector to check the job and turn it down. The failure was in not having it inspected while the ditch was open so the wire could have been easily installed.

the 'good' new is:

the backfill is fresh, digging will be easy

42" deep may be "easier digging,", but it is NEVER "easy digging".

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.