Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 3 handle shower faucet leak issue
Author: horn1991 (TX)

I have a 3 valve shower/tub. One hot valve, one cold valve, and then the diverter valve in the middle.

The tub was slowly dripping. So after lots of videos and research, I replaced all of the valves.

During the process, however, I was unable to remove the valve seat from the center valve, which is the shower diverter. I was able to put new valve seats on the hot and cold valves.

Well, the shower still "runs". I replaced the rubber washers on the valves that connect to the seats on the hot and cold yesterday, thinking they were torn or worn or something. But really, there was nothing wrong with them.

So my main question is this: If both the hot and cold valves are sufficiently "off" (and are sealing properly), can a worn valve seat or a poor "seal" on the diverter be the cause of a continuous "drip"? Like I said, the diverter valve is new (part of the kit I bought). But the valve seat is the original one, quite likely.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Re: 3 handle shower faucet leak issue
Author: hj (AZ)

The diverter ONLY changes which outlet the water flows to. If you have a continual drip, (not one that eventually stops dripping), the the problem is in the hot and/or cold sides, and your repairs were not done properly.

HJ,

Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought that was the case...just needed to make sure. Just gonna have to tear back into it, and see if the new valve seats have some sort of deformity or burr on them when I put them in, allowing water to get past the rubber seals from the hot and/or cold valve(s). It's something to do with the valve seats I would imagine. The new valves don't leak anywhere. :-\

Author: packy (MA)

the new seats do need some sort of sealer on the threads.
usually a touch of pipe dope will do it.
lack of sealer can cause water to seep up thru the threads causing the problem you have.

Thanks alot. I will give that a shot this weekend. smile

Author: hj (AZ)

That is something I have NEVER done. The seats are a metal to metal seal unless they come with a gasket or "O" ring, which few do.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.