Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Large clay pipe running the width of my yard
Author: Dinyoclese (OR)

I am trying to run water to a greenhouse in my yard. I began digging a trench to place the water line at the proper depth according to code and in the process I found a large (about 6 inch) clay pipe.

In the front of my house I have a drain that allows water from the street to drain. That drain runs east/west along my fence line. I feel reasonably confident that the clay pipe is an extension of that drain. The clay pipe runs north south along the the whole of my back yard.

In order to run the clean water to my new greenhouse I must cross over or under the clay pipe perpendicularly. I am not sure if I should go over the pipe or under? The Clay pipe is at its center is at the appropriate frost depth. So if I go over, the water line is not deep enough. Is going under it appropriate?

Thanks!

Re: Large clay pipe running the width of my yard
Author: packy (MA)

you have to check with your local authority as to the requirements for separation of water pipes and storm drains.
this is maine's requirements (first one I found). they seem a little harsh but you get the point.
[www.maine.gov]

Re: Large clay pipe running the width of my yard
Author: Paul48 (CT)

Some random thoughts...…….. Six inch pipe for a storm drain? Wouldn't there be some type of easement recorded in town hall? Surely, if it was done by the city, it would appear on a plan. If your property suddenly starts flooding, who pays for the fix?

Re: Large clay pipe running the width of my yard thumbs
Author: Dinyoclese (OR)

Thanks. This was helpful. I gave a call to my local municipality and the rules aren't so restrictive. As long as it is a storm drain no separation is needed. I'll get the local county to locate on the property to verify the storm water drain locations. Sewer company says they have no record of sewer running anywhere near where I'm digging so I'm likely in the clear.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.