Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Diverting water supply at farm plumbing system
Author: mlapenna (Canada)

Good day everyone.

I have a photo available here: [photos.app.goo.gl]
(it's essential to understanding the situation)

What I am trying to do is replace the faucet at #4.
#6 is the shut off for the whole house
#5 is a Goulds Pump
#4 is a 1/2 inch faucet (old one shown - it leakes)
#3 is the pressure release for the pressure tank
#2 is a rusted/stuck square value (not sure how it plays a role)
#1 is the shutoff for the pump into the pressure tank

I am trying to release the pressure for a minute or two at #4 so I can replace the faucet.
However, when I drain the pressure tank by opening the valve at #3, when the tank's pressure gets too low, the pump comes on, even if I close the valve at #1. The pump appears to "heave" over and over. a) I am worried I will lose the prime and b) I am worried about damaging the pump.

Question to everyone:
Is there a way to avoid a blast of water coming out at #4 or is it ok to let the pump heave for a minute or two? Or is there another to do this? Sorry if this seems obvious but I tried a bunch of combinations (except the #2 valve) and each time I could see/feel significant pressure about to blast out of #2. Thank you in advance.
Mike

Re: Diverting water supply at farm plumbing system
Author: hj (AZ)

Turn off the power to the pump, because you do not appear to have ANY valve between the tank and #4, so you will have to completely drain the tank to change the valve.

I considered turning off the power to the pump, but wouldn't I lose the prime to the well? It took many hours to get it back, and I doubt I'd be able to do it alone.

Author: packy (MA)

can't see it well enough but I believe 2 is a pressure relief valve. it must stay.

packy - when you say it must stay, what do you mean?
#2 is so tough to turn, I am afraid of stripping (or breaking) the square nut.
#3 certainly releases pressure in the tank because the gauge on the pump drops as the tank drains.

Author: hj (AZ)

Turning off the power to the pump is the same as the pump stopping because the tank is full.

Author: packy (MA)

it should look like this red arrow.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

If the faucet is leaking from the spout, put a brass cap on it.

So you are saying put a brass cap on it while I am not drawing water from it - good medium term solution. That buys me time until I replace the faucet. Thanks!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.