Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Air Admittance Valve
Author: OldPartTimer (OH)

I have a utility sink in my garage and no way to tie into a vent stack. It has a trap underneath it, and drains through the wall and down into the basement, a drop of about 8 feet. It makes a 90 degree turn and slopes down to a floor drain about 20 feet away. Right after the 90, I have a water softener drain line tied in. It runs about 8 feet on a 30 degree angle. My question is this. Do I need to use an Air admittance Valve under the sink or can the water softener drain line serve the purpose?

Thank you.

Re: Air Admittance Valve
Author: packy (MA)

are you saying that the sink drains dumps into the top of a floor drain with no direct connection to it ?

Author: srloren (CA)

If I understand your question regarding the Air Admittance Valve portion, I think it would be a good idea. As for connecting to a water Softener drain I would need to see a drawing for more details.

Author: hj (AZ)

If it just dumps into the floor drain, then it is NOT connected to the sanitary system and does not need a vent.

Re: Air Admittance Valve thumbs
Author: OldPartTimer (OH)

That is correct. Thank you. You answered the question.

Edited 1 times.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

That's the way I understood it Packy. Question: Does the garage sink still need a trap, since the floor drain is already trapped?

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Edited 1 times.

Author: srloren (CA)

No, waste should only have one trap.

Edited 1 times.

it will have only one trap.

Edited 1 times.

LI guy, the only reason to have a trap would be to keep back the odors that might come from a long pipe that could get fouled from whatever gets poured down the sink.
other wise this is considered an indirect waste and no trap needed.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.