Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Pressure Relief Valve leaks
Author: BCarl (MO)

The pressure relief valve started leaking. I replaced it, but did not fix. Went to change thermostats and elements and found tank full of sediment, so I replaced the water heater. New one leaks from PRV as well. Input pressure at around 90psi. Upper element set at 130 degrees. Bottom at 125 degrees. Any ideas? I have a plumber friend indicating I need an expansion tank. Didn't need one the last 15 years. Spoke to a city employee as well who indicated nothing has changed with the water pressure.

Re: Pressure Relief Valve leaks
Author: srloren (CA)

You need to install a pressure regulator before the ball valve where the water enters your home and set it to 60 PSI is what I recommend. If you have copper water lines throughout your home, a lower pressure setting will save water but also reduce wear on the pipes. It is critical that the pressure relief valve functions. I try to stay away from Pressure Tanks as it is just another device to wear out and needs maintenance.

Author: BCarl (MO)

I agree. I don't have room for an expansion tank either. You indicate to install BEFORE the shut off valve. Any particular reason it cannot be installed AFTER the shut off valve instead?

Author: Paul48 (CT)

If you install a pressure reducing valve, you create a closed system. If you are already having problems, you may find that a PRV does not solve the problem. It's not designed to solve that problem. Read the instructions for the PRV and you may find a potable water expansion tank is required. Position the PRV in such a way that valves can be shut to service or replace the PRV.

As I indicated I do not have an expansion tank on my system. I have my Pressure Regulator set to 60 PSI and in the event that it fails,(because it eventually will) I also have pressure relief a valve set to 80 psi attached to a tee on a hose bib connection. I actually have two of these installed in case one of them fails. Some will say this is over kill but I do not want my copper lines to exceed 80 PSI.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

The fact that you get away with that may be more of a function of the extent of your piping. The OP may also be able to get away with it. If not, he'll know the answer.

That came out of my head wrong. Install the ball valve before the Pressure Regulator so you can maintain the Pressure Regulator and control water coming into the home. Hope this helps.

Author: hj (AZ)

You do realize, don't you, that if the pressure exceeds 80 psi, and is not controlled by an expansion tank, your pressure relief valves will actuate every time and discharge water.

I don't understand your thinking. Read my reply above. I have no such problems and again I would not have an expansion tank in my potable water system.

Author: steve_g (CA)

Something must be taking up the excess pressure. If you put a pressure gauge on and watch it after someone takes a shower (as the water heater is firing) you'll see it climb. Some people can get away with a PRV and no expansion tank, but lot of others get a dripping TPR.

Author: hj (AZ)

If your relief valves are NOT discharging, then the pressure is not exceeding 80 psi, and therefore you would probably NOT require an expansion tank.

Author: 9kl (Non-US)

I replaced my old electric hwt with a new tank and the new t and p valve leaks, nothing changed in the house, but the tank. The House pressure is 40 psi and the temp settings are at the factory settings.(140F) I could install an expansion tank, but my question is why did the old tank work without leaking and the new tank T&P leaks.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.