Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Installing copper pipe through roof joists
Author: johnc (CA)

I want to run a 1/2" copper pipe through some roof joists. The joists are 2 x 6 on 24" centers. I am worried the L tubing is not going to flex enough to get it pushed into the holes. The whole run will be about 12 feet. Can it be forced into place without tweaking it? Maybe use thinner tubing like M or go to PEX?

Re: Installing copper pipe through roof joists
Author: LI Guy (IN)

Could always break it up into shorter pieces and solder them together with couplers, that's what I do. As far as I know M copper is only rated for baseboard heat where pressure is regulated down to 15 psi or so, it's not rated for domestic pressures.

A real plumber would likely use pex, but I don't have those tools in my box. You could also drill the holes a little larger to give yourself some wiggle room as long as you keep the holes in the center of the joists.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Edited 1 times.

Author: sum (FL)

OD of 1/2" copper is 5/8". Then you need to account for possibly a coupling needing to pass through which means the holes need to be bigger. On top of that you may want to insulate the pipe if it's in the attic, or at least sleeve it so it doesn't make rattling sounds, or if hot water pipe expansion etc...

I have drilled 3/4" holes through wood studs spaced 18" apart and was able to flex a 10' type L through without much struggle. Just have to finness a bit.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, with 3/4 inch holes thru 2 x 6's spaced 24 apart it will be no problem.

Author: hj (AZ)

IT would depend on WHERE the hole is drilled. The further "up" the more bending would be needed. In most areas, type M tubing is the norm for residential water piping.

Author: steve_g (CA)

A real plumber would likely use pex

???

Maybe a real young person. The word 'plumber' means 'someone that works with lead' (the Latin word for lead is plumbum).

Author: bernabeu (SC)

IT would depend on WHERE the hole is drilled. The further "up" the more bending would be needed. In most areas, type M tubing is the norm for residential water piping.

If by "the norm" you mean the code required MINIMUM you (sadly) are correct.

BUT

Type 'L' is good practice and often is 'specified'. (and once upon a time WAS the norm)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: LI Guy (IN)

@steve_g, by "real Plumber" I meant someone who was getting paid for the job and wanted it done as fast as possible with the least cost of materials.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Author: hj (AZ)

some "plumbers" do NOT do it in the least amount of time with the lowest cost for materials.

Author: johnc (CA)

I drilled the center of the joist, and was able to slide in a 10 foot section no problem. Since the rule on hole size is max 1/3 of the width, I went to 1" to take care of one irregularity.
This eliminated the need for chase in a low ceiling wall and that is great.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

... some "plumbers" do NOT do it in the least amount of time with the lowest cost for materials. ...

Some "plumbers" do it in the least amount of time with the lowest cost for specified or good practice materials.

Using 'good' or 'best' practice has little to no effect on labor time.

Material may cost more but will be cheaper in the long run.

tongue sticking out smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.