Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Advice for ABS to PVC Regret
Author: Scotty (WA)

Hello, What you see from this birds eye view, is that I removed a bathroom vanity sink and used ABS/PVC Cement to cap off the sewer pipe. Why? Because I wasn't thinking, at all!

I had thought I was going to permanently remove the sink due to space issues in this extra tiny bathroom, and now I need to put in a mounted sink, because as it turns out,people like to wash their hands in the bathroom.

The 3/4inch white PVC cap is threaded as is the Black ABS pipe. I screwed on the cap and covered both in the green ABS to PVC cement and sealed it up.

I am unsure how to proceed without having to open the wall! Does anyone think I can cut this and somehow attach another piece of ABS which I could then hook up to a sink?

How far back can I or should I cut? Can I cut along the green line ( cement) and then glue on an extension?

Any thoughts, comments, instructions or even heckling would be greatly appreciated

Edited 1 times.

Re: Advice for ABS to PVC Regret
Author: steve (CA)

I would first cut just the very end on the cap off. Then I would cut the cap lengthwise and try to split it off of the ABS.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Just replace the toilet with a prison toilet:

Comes with a built-in sink.

Added bonus: integrated toilet paper holder!

Author: Curly (CA)

If Steve's suggestion doesn't work and you can't afford Palm329 prison ware.

Try this - take a saw and cut the cap off flush where it rest against the 1-1/2" ABS hub. Leaving the ABS hub still sticking out.

Then use a 2" x 1-1/2" no hub coupling. The 2" side will tighten up nicely on the 1-1/2" hub and then use 1-1/2" ABS/PVC pipe on the other side.

A bit of a hack repair, but it works, doesn't leak and you don't have to open the wall.

Thank you Steve! I will start here and give this a go. I have a nice small hack saw ready to go.

Edited 1 times.

I could probably heat my coffee in that thing toosmiling smiley

Thanks for all the coaching! I was going to try my heat gun to loosen the glue but cutting seems like better advice.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks Curly. I will give this a go.

When I zoomed into the picture I noticed something had been glued onto/into the hub by the original installer. I hadn't seen it before with my eye in person. Now I am here looking at it and sure enough
I can see the clear glue they used about 1 centimeter behind my green glue line. They glued on the threading extension, which I glued my cap onto.

1. Can I cut it there? It has a nice groove in it ready for my saw.

2. I just read about the history and function of the no-hub coupling. Do I glue one end onto the hub or just use the clamps?

Thanks

Edited 1 times.

Author: Curly (CA)

1. Just cut it in the groove.

2. No glue. One of beauties of using a no hub is that it allows you to take things apart without having to cut etc....

Author: bernabeu (SC)

this is NOT a joke

toilets with hand wash/rinse built into the top actually exist

so, you could actually remove the sink and still have a 'powder room' smiling smiley

[www.bing.com]

eg.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

Author: steve (CA)

A spigot trap adapter was glued into a hub.

Author: sum (FL)

I was wondering the same if this could be the threaded end of a trap adapter then he glues a cap over it.

If it's really a trap adapter then Curly's suggestion would work really well the transition coupling fitting over the hub, the outlet pipe of a tubular p-trap can still slide into and past this connection.

I would also start with cutting off the tip of the cap. I would shine a flash light into the cut end and see how far back the fitting behind the wall is (it's either a horizontal elbow or a sanitary tee). If there is a still short section of pipe behind the stuff you see outside the wall, you might be able to cut away all this and start with that short section of pipe. If there isn't, then your options are what the pros have suggested so far.

Thanks Steve!

Thanks Bernabeu! This is good to know that such an option exists.

Thanks Sum!

Author: Palm329 (VA)

The prison toilet isn’t a joke either, trust me they do exist. Some even have water fountains lol

Yes that Spigot Trap Adapter looks exactly what I glued the cap over, after I had unscrewed and removed the movable parts.

I will follow up with an update later this week. I am expecting the sink to arrive on Tuesday.

Thanks Again!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.