Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 sink drain fail! someone's old ...uhh repair, what do i do now?
Author: plumbConfused (CA)

Hi! I work on cars and computers a lot and did all my own irrigation... but indoor plumbing scares me a bit! I recently had a laundry clog and got a pro rooter service since i did not have the gear. following this, my sink would not drain. since i had gotten a small rubber bladder and both cleanouts were 1.5", i ran the rubber bladder thru both cleanouts after rooter man left... did this for 20 min each cleanout, both seemed fine

so my sink would not drain, it had to be between the cleanout and the sink itself.... OK so I went and bought a small manual snake.... i took off the water trap.... and well it did not go well, please see that someone had shoved a plastic tube what was part of a trap - into my 1.5" metal drain pipe, well i thought it went in 1/2" and i could just pull it out but it broke off.... and the plastic seems to go in the metal tube for a length.... i just tried to measure and this plastic tube apparently is shoved into the metal tube about 6"

Re: sink drain fail! someone's old ...uhh repair, what do i do now?

Sorry, I forgot to add: thank you very much for your thoughts!! I also forgot to addd that this is one of two metal drains under the sink, they both connect to a metal manifolid. My first idea was to take the fittings off, and vaccuum all the material i could out of the lines from sink drain opening to the clean out. then i would send the snake thru.

however, since that plastic piece is in there, i dont know what to do at all!!! Cut off the metal drain 6" and have someone make new threads on the metal tube?

Try to slice and remove that length of plastic tube? This is my wish but I dont know what method I should try.... make a pole with razor blade attached and try to slice the 6"?

PLEASE HELP ME!@!@!

Author: steve (CA)

Take a hacksaw blade(or a reciprocating saw) and cut the plastic tube the full length, collapse and remove it. Use a rubber coupling to attach the new trap arm to the metal pipe(if the existing stub isn't long enough to reach the coupling.
[www.plumbingsupply.com]

THANK YOU - umm just to be sure are you saying to cut the metal pipe all the way down to there the plastic tube ends
OR
#2 are you saying to cut the plastic tube flush, then collapse it and remove it (which is what i am thinking of)

if #2, please could you tell me a method to collapse ane remove that plastic tube! thanks so much, really!!!!

Author: packy (MA)

make 2 cuts down the entire length of the plastic tube. make them about 1/2 inch apart.
then remove the 1/2 inch piece and hopefully the remains of the plastic tube will collapse.

Author: Palm329 (VA)

No, he’s saying do not touch the metal pipe. Reach INSIDE the plastic pipe and saw it from the inside-out, and once it’s got a cut in the plastic pipe, collapse the plastic pipe in on itself so you can yank it out from the metal pipe.

Then, use a rubber banded coupling to connect that metal pipe to a new plastic trap.

Palm329 and packy thanks very much

"make 2 cuts down the entire length of the plastic tube."

"Reach INSIDE the plastic pipe and saw it from the inside-out"

thanks - and my main question is just HOW may I accomplish this? could you please tell me a tool and / or a method to reach inside the metal tube, and cut the plastic tube that is inside it... all the way down 5-6" deep inside that metal tube... how do i cut the inner plastic tube from the inside?

(should i simply buy a bare 24 or 32-TPI hacksaw blade, clamp it in a vice grips and drag it back and forth?)

my thanks!!

Edited 1 times.

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Re-read Steve’s post above for 2 tool options.

is this what I want to end up like? thanks again

that is exactly what the finish product will look like.

Author: sum (FL)

"thanks - and my main question is just HOW may I accomplish this? could you please tell me a tool and / or a method to reach inside the metal tube, and cut the plastic tube that is inside it... all the way down 5-6" deep inside that metal tube... how do i cut the inner plastic tube from the inside?

(should i simply buy a bare 24 or 32-TPI hacksaw blade, clamp it in a vice grips and drag it back and forth?)"

What steve meant was you need to cut the plastic tube LENGTHWISE. Here is how you could do that either with a manual hacksaw or a power tool like a reciprocating saw.

Hack saws are available for $10. You can buy a longer blade since your tube is 6".

Reciprocating saws would be much easier and faster. May be one of your neighbors can loan you one?

Stick the blade into the tube and begin cutting. You care looking at the end of the tube, so cut say at the 6 'O' clock position. Go back and forth until you know you have cut through it. After that I would try to grab the plastic tube with a channel lock and see if I can turn it, may be that one cut would give just a sliver of space to finesse it free - unlikely but worth a try. If not, then do another cut, say at 4'O' clock position, after that pull out that long piece between 4 and 6'O' clock. Collapse the plastic and pull it out.

smile clap

FIXED and THANK YOU

made a small wood grip for the blade, and just spent some time with it

Edited 2 times.

nothing succeeds like success.

good job.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.