Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Replacing toilet.
Author: dc281306 (KY)

Hello,

I have done an extensive online search to find the answer to my question, but I’ve not been successful. I am remodeling a bathroom and plan to replace the toilet. My question is regarding the water supply line. All images and instructions I’ve found online show that the water supply line and valve either come from the wall or the floor. However, mine appears to be coming from both. There is a pipe coming from the wall that connects to a pipe coming from the floor with the valve being closer to the floor. The valve will need to be replaced as well. Why would there be pipes coming from both the floor and the wall? The house is older (I assume at least the 40s).

Thanks!

Re: Replacing toilet.
Author: packy (MA)

just when I think I have heard everything, along comes your post. hahaha
please post a picture.
only thing I can think of is that one is hot and one is cold. there is such a thing as a mixer for the toilet water to keep the tank from sweating in the hot, humid summer days.

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Could it be a diy job where someone piped up from a crawl space, hit the toilet, then into the wall and over to the lav?

It probably was a DIY job at some point. The plumbing in this house has been odd to say the least. It isn’t connected to the vanity because the kitchen sink is in the other side of the wall and the vanity water and drain are all tied into that. The only other thing I can think of (no expert by any means) is that maybe they ran water under the floor to the washer that is in the same room. But alas, I don’t know. I’m planning on calling in a pro to at least remove the old toilet and replace the shut off, but I’m just curious until we get to that point.

And I also have no clue what the other pipe to the right is for as it does not go to the toilet or the vanity.

Edited 2 times.

After looking at the shut off for the washer and dryer, I now think that the theory of the cold water being ran down under the floor from the toilet and is going to the washer whereas the other pipe (on the right) is the hot water for the washer. Seems a bit odd, but if it is the case I’m not shocked with the plumbing woes we’ve already had.

Author: packy (MA)

if you are replacing the toilet, make sure to check the footprint for the new toilet you choose.
it seems that most new water saver toilets have a footprint that goes almost to the back wall.
you have a pipe in the way.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.