Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can't figure out a condensation leak
Author: jeffw_00

Hi - We have a standard bathtub with tiled walls. There is a small hatch for access from the finished basement centered around the drain plug. We are getting water (several ounces after a shower) through the hatch. BUT - the details are interesting:

a) it happens ONLY after a long steamy shower. Long baths, short showers, & long-not-steamy-showers produce no leak..

b) We hung sheet plastic on the front (plumbing) wall and long-side of the tiled tub area, using shipping tape to attach to curtain, and also to seal along where the tub meets the tile. This had -no- effect. (although the tiled plumbing wall behind the plastic still got damp after a long steamy shower).

c) from below we can see the water appears to be coming from the front-right area (to the right of the spout) - it's possible the source is behind the plumbing wall.

d) There has -always- been a small area of the regular (plastered blueboard) wall to the right of the front of the tub (about 3" wide and the height of the tub) where the paint rots over time. Moisture behind the wall would explain it, but no plumber has been able to explain why this occurs. (Note - we've even had the bathroom torn to the studs and rebuilt once (to replace the tub 15 years ago)).

e) The bathroom is 5' x 8' and has an oversized (200cfm) exhaust fan that always runs during the shower and for a time afterwards. It vents to the attic next to a 3' x 3' gable vent (so essentially to the outdoors).

I'm in New England. It doesn't seem like water from the shower is somehow getting directly through the wall. It rather seems like the steam created by the shower somehow causes moisture to condense and drip behind the wall, but I can't come up with a working model in my head to explain the behavior.

I really want to do all the testing I can, to have a clue what is going on, before I call a plumber.

Any/all ideas much appreciated. Many Thanks!

/j

Edited 2 times.

Re: Can't figure out a condensation leak
Author: packy (MA)

remove the shower head and cap the chrome nipple.
turn things on to see what happens.

Re: Can't figure out a condensation leak
Author: srloren (CA)

Where are you located. Off the top of my head I would recommend that you not vent steam into your attic no matter how close you are to an outside vent. You are creating a possible mold problem and attic vents are intended to move air through the attic to keep temperature down in the summer mostly.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.