Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Is this bad?
Author: themarkofak (AK)

I am remodeling my downstairs bathroom (daylight basement, 3' below grade). I assumed I would need a tub with above floor rough in, since it sits on a concrete floor, but when I pulled out the old tub, I found a hole approx. 18" deep X 18" wide through the 5" slab. First question- Is this bad?
The original tub was installed without a p-trap. Second question- Is this bad?
Also, there is a hot water baseboard heating unit behind the tub. It is a typical alcove tub, so there is no real access to the baseboard, although a 5" X 8" opening with a register was cut into one end of the alcove. I guess the idea was for heat to radiate through the steel tub, which it does to some extent. Final question- Is this bad?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Re: Is this bad?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

[imgur.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: bernabeu (SC)

[imgur.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

how do you know there is no trap under the dirt ?
can you see water down inside the copper pipe?

anyway, I have installed basement heating elements behind tub many times.
this practice is not bad at all.

my friend from SC has posted your second picture.
only the element needs to be there. the enclosure serves no purpose in this situation.

Edited 1 times.

I guess that is possible, but I never thought of the trap being buried. I'll check that out. Thanks.

Author: srloren (CA)

You probably have a trap under the dirt if it was inspected. Like was mentioned shine a pencil flash light down inside the copper pipe to see the water indicating that the fixture is trapped.

Yes, I do see water in the pipe. Good to know I don't need to install a trap with the new drain assembly. Thank you.

Author: packy (MA)

from what little I could see of your plumbing it looks professionally done so the absence of a trap would be (as spock would say) illogical

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.