Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Home under cabinet ice machine drain in basement
Author: cygnus23 (OH)

Hi all,

I'm thinking of adding a 15" under counter ice maker in my basement for a built-in "bar" area. I know there are two types of draining generally for these units: gravity drain, and pump versions. I'd prefer to keep it simple and use the gravity drain, but the installation instructions show the drain needing to be no higher than 1-7/8" above the floor to receive water, which will obviously not allow me to get a 90 in there and over to a drain. The backside of the wall is in an unfinished area, and there is a floor drain about 5' away. When I look at the instructions for the model with drain pump, I see that the actual outlet for the ice bin is WAY higher than 1-7/8" even allowing for the 1" gap between a length of hose and PVC pipe. A youtube video of someone installing the pump model confirms that there is no equipment that would prevent a higher PVC installation by reducing the length of the rubber tubing?

I'm wondering why I would even need the length of hose from the bin, and/or couldn't I just shorten it to get the clearance needed to install PVC to the floor drain? Also, what's the rule for drainage piping drop/ft. to the floor drain?

Thanks for any advice!

Re: Home under cabinet ice machine drain in basement
Author: hj (AZ)

YOU CAN CONNECT YOUR OWN HOE TO THE drain outlet, or the pump can discharge to ANY height.

Do I need to leave the air gap, or does that only apply at the unit if going into pvc and sanitary drain vs. floor drain where an air gap would also exist? Is there a slope I need to maintain for drain pipe?

Author: hj (AZ)

In my installation, I have the hose down into the drain riser, because there is absolutely no way water could back up into the unit.

Makes sense to me from a practical POV. I'm finishing my basement with permits so I'm just trying to understand what will be passed. Wasn't sure if running a tube to the drain would be ok, or whether it needs to be PVC like the drain from the AC frame, and what the drop/ft code generally is. I also don't know if there are limitations on running tubing or PVC across a floor to a drain in an unfinished space.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.