Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 shutting off water to boiler?
Author: Jonf (VT)

If I need to shut off the main house water to make a routine repair at a bathroom or kitchen sink that will take me a couple hours or so, do I need to shut off power to the boiler while the house water is off? I have an older Weil-McLain boiler, baseboard heat, no external water tank. Thank you. (Hot water shutoff valve under bathroom sink leaks when I shut it off, so I need to replace it with a quarter-turn valve.)

Edited 1 times.

Re: shutting off water to boiler?
Author: Plumberpalmer (MA)

Your heating system is a closed system shutting off the water to the house will have new effect on the heat.

Thank you! I never was sure about this. So that means I could shut the house water off while away on vacation and won't have an effect on the boiler. That's good to know.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Make sure the boiler has a low water cut-off. If not, adding cold water to a dry-firing boiler could make a section of the house go bye-bye.

I looked up images of a low water cutoff and don't see one on the boiler (though it might be there). The last service report shows N/A marked for low water cutoff--I don't know if that means I don't have one or that wasn't part of the service check. So my question is, if I don't have a low water cutoff, can I still cut off main house water for a couple hours to do the sink repair without damaging boiler? Sounds like I should be OK given the closed loop, but just want to make sure.

FOLLOW-UP: OK, now I see you were referring to turning house water off while away on vacation. I will cross that bridge next time I go away; for now I will proceed with the repair I need to do. Let me know if I have misunderstood; otherwise, I will proceed with the repair. Thanks for all the responses.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

off for a short time = OK

as for the 'low water cut-off': the boiler 'should' have one, perhaps it is a 'modern type' diaphragm pressure switch which can not be 'visually' tested as opposed to an 'old school' float type switch

your boiler's manual will instruct you

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks,Bernabeu. "Diaphragm" sounds familiar from last time I quizzed service guy about my boiler, and pretty sure i know which part that is. I will double check manual again.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

visuals:

[www.bing.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Paul48 (CT)

You're right...I was referring to you shutting the water off while on vacation. Here's the scenario...you shut the service off and go on vacation. While you're away the boiler cracks a section (typical), and drains the system. Now there's a call for heat and the boiler fires. Since there is no water at the bulb of the aquastat, the boiler just keeps firing. Now you come home and turn the water on. Not good. Low water cutoffs are code in most places now. If you have an older boiler, an aftermarket one is a worthwhile purchase.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.