Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 laundry sink drain leak
Author: rschaab (NJ)

I am thinking of replacing this drain assembly because of leaks at the strainer nut and slip nut fittings. Problem is I can't find a replacement for the curved pipe that attaches to the tub strainer. Can someone tell me what it is and if it is available?

Alternatively, I was thinking of replacing the whole trap assembly with PVC. Could I use an S-trap if it will fit?

Re: laundry sink drain leak
Author: srloren (CA)

If the copper fitting inside the wall is threaded, I would remove it, also remove the tail piece at the sink drain and screw in a brass nipple then make the connection with ABS or PVC Tubular piping. Reduce the pipe size to 1 1/4" with a 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" brass or plastic Nut under the sink.

Author: hj (AZ)

It is a flanged 90 degree elbow. It is one half of a sink continuous waste, cut off to fit the situation. The other piece, turning down, is a 1 1/2" flush elbow from a toilet flush valve connection.

Makes no difference...repipe it for less problems in the future.

Author: packy (MA)

I don't believe the trap needs to be replaced.
as for the rest, there a couple of different ways of changing the parts.
have a look here at the parts and the video. it is all explained.
[www.plumbingsupply.com]

I suggested replacing the Brass Trap because tubular is inexpensive and has a smoother surface to prevent Lint from causing a stoppage. Improve as you replace...

Author: packy (MA)

sloren, you are gonna give our friend from SC (bernabeu) stomach acid.
actually, I think he has a good brass trap with a union nut to take apart and clean really well.
unscrewing it without a big enough wrench to use as a holdback could be troublesome.
I'd take it apart at the union , clean it and the outlet pipe and leave it.
in fact, he may only need a tailpiece washer, a couple of new nylon slip washers and some grease and be as good as new.

Re: laundry sink drain leak thumbs
Author: rschaab (NJ)

Thanks for all the advice everyone. The trap is brass and still in good shape, so I will start with Mr Packy's suggestion to take apart and clean really well. Then replace the washers hopefully will get a good seal.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

Reducing it to 1 1/4", (and I am not sure how he could do it), as you suggested, would NOT "create problems in the future"?

I like going to plastic tubular because it is easy to cut to length, smooth as I said and you have more options. Durham fittings and Gal pipe or Brass requires more work with fewer options than plastic. The reduction to 1 1/4" is simply by using a 1 1/2" IPS x 1 1/4" Tube reducing slip nut. Easy Peasy....

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.