Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Washing machine drain backing up
Author: rdr202 (RI)

I have a front loading washing machine that when it drains will over flow the stand pipe,

The drain pipe is run to a drywell. I dug up pipe and there is no blockage, tank is not full, pipe is clear.

It seems to be the high pressure the water is pumped at fills standpipe and prevents air from escaping because the stand pipe fills up and then sometimes it’s like a burst of air forces the water out of the standpipe. A couple times the water came out of the vent.

Stand pipe is 2” vent pipe is 1-1/2”
Do I need a 2” vent pipe?

Here is Link to photo of set up.

Edited 2 times.

Re: Washing machine drain backing up
Author: DaveMill (CA)

I'm not a plumber...

You said that sometimes water comes out the vent. That means it is easier for water to flow UP the vent pipe than DOWN the drain. That means there is probably still a blockage in the drain, below the point where the vent joins the standpipe.

The plumbers here frequently advise dumping a 5-gallon bucket of water down the drain to test how fast it flows.

Re: Washing machine drain backing up
Author: rdr202 (RI)

Ran snake came up with nothing. Then attached camera ran camera found pipe half full water. We had 18” of snow that melted ground has been soft so it looks like drywell is full. I should have known as this happened a few years ago after had 2’ of snow melt. What had me was the machine on the first high speed drain would back up this is when the most water is put out. Then the other drains during the spin cycle would drain with no problem because they were small amounts of water. Looks like I’ll be getting the backhoe out and adding another tank and bigger drain field.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.