Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower Tile Not Flat: How to Prevent Leakage Around Fixtures?
Author: HCStines (NC)

Hi!

We are in the middle of a major master shower remodel. We purchased beautiful tile for the shower walls & it has just been put up. But we are just now realizing it may cause a problem with water behind the walls over time because the tile is not flat. It has a gentle rippling pattern in it. Nothing dramatic, but certainly not flat.

I have asked the plumbing supply company we bought our Delta fixtures from if there is a gasket we should purchase to help tighten the trim plates to the wall and have been told they don't sell anything like that.

When we purchased the tile we specifically asked if it could be used on shower walls and were told, absolutely it could, but not on the floor. So we didn't think more about it. Surely there is a mechanism that is used that is reliably able to seal the trim plates - but I'm having no luck finding what it is, and since I have no knowledge of the subject, I want to educate myself about it so I can talk to my contractor and plumber about it and feel confident the right thing is happening.

Appreciate any help you can give us!

Re: Shower Tile Not Flat: How to Prevent Leakage Around Fixtures?
Author: Paul48 (CT)

Clean surfaces and 100% silicone caulk. Don't go crazy with the stuff, you may want to get it apart at a later date.

Thanks for the heads-up Paul!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Plumbers Putty is your friend.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

make your own gasket.
just get some fairly dense weather stripping that is sticky on one side and adhere it to the back of the escutcheon. a lot of companies do this for their shower trim products. just leave a little gap at the bottom.
kinda hard to make out here but see the gasket behind the plate ?

Re: Shower Tile Not Flat: How to Prevent Leakage Around Fixtures? thumbs

OK, I will research that. Thank you!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.