Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 question about downstairs neighbor possibly sharing my water heater
Author: m7588 (NJ)

I read this is possible if someone at one time had access to both apartments. Someone once owned both. My question is I hear my water heater running when they run their shower - when they shut shower off, my heater goes off immediately. This has happened many times, since I first noticed a few weeks ago.
Could I just be hearing their heater through the pipes? I touch it and i can feel it vibrate. My dad tried to turn off the water with the red valve. (it didnt turn off).. So i wonder if someone did at one time mess with the heater. There are also wires coming thru the wall instead of a valve.
What can i do to see if they are in fact connected? We do not get along, and asking them, especially if it means them having to spend money, I dont think they will be very kind in working this out.
Thank you for any help!

Re: question about downstairs neighbor possibly sharing my water heater
Author: NP16 (OR)

More likely that you all share the same cold water pipe in the wall. When they are using hot water you are hearing or feeling the flow of cold water to their unit. Very doubtful that you are paying the electric or gas to heat their water.

Is the water bill included in the rent? Or do you have your own meter?

Post a photo of your water heater set-up and the pros on here can tell if there's anything beyond normal.

to answer your question you would need access to their apartment. If you turned OFF the cold water feed to your water heater and that stopped the flow of hot water to their apartment well then your worries would be confirmed.

Edited 2 times.

Thank you... we have our own meters. And I always thought my bill was high (it runs about $60, which may seem normal - but I really dont run my heater in the winter or use a lot of lights etc.) Its been as high as 120 for no reason and Ive called electric co.
i cant add picture

Since I cant turn off red valve and thats all i have... can I turn it off through fuse box??? Im going away for a few days .. that should give me an answer. RIght? thanks again!

Edited 2 times.

Author: packy (MA)

you really should have a functioning shut off for the water heater should it ever develop a leak.
if you have your own water meter, shut off when you go away.
that will shut the water to the heater as well.

Author: RR60 (VA)

When they are taking a shower you could also look at your water meter and see if it is turning. Of course make sure you are not using any water yourself at that time.

Author: sum (FL)

I had a similar situation once at a rental apartment. Building has apartments A B C D and in the back utility room where the washer and dryer was there isn't a WH. Each apartment has its own WH and I soon learned that the hot water came from teeing off the hot water line of apartment D.

Even I pay for water for the building, each apartment pays for its own electric. I had to add a WH I'm the utility room and cap off apartment D's.

If your water bill is paid by the HOA you most likely can't tell from just the water.

You can turn off your breaker for the WH if they are getting hot water from you they are still going to get water just unheated water. They might think their WH is acting up and call a plumber who will be baffled and most likely change out their WH and still have the same issue LOL.

But you should also confirm your WH is powered by your electric. What if your WH is wired to your neighbors electric wires? Find the breaker or fuse for the WH and confirm with a tester to the wires at the WH.

Thank you RR60. I was wrong. My dad said there is no separate meter, Unfortunately. This gets more complicated on how to resolve

Edited 2 times.

Thank you sum. As long as I know it's safe to turn off breaker (without flooding etc), it sounds like this is my only option.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.